This manual shows how to import a student email account into the email client Mozilla Thunderbird.
Before you start
- This manual uses a consistent style of writing:
- references to text and buttons on screens are printed in italics,
- information that you have to enter yourself is printed in bold.
STEP 1: DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL THUNDERBIRD
- Download and install Thunderbird from the following website: www.mozilla.org/thunderbird.
STEP 2: CREATE AN ACCOUNT (AT THE FIRST START OF THUNDERBIRD)
- Start Thunderbird for the first time. Thunderbird will ask to create a new email address. Click on the button Skip this and use my existing email.
STEP 3: CREATE AN ACCOUNT (A T A LATER START OF THUNDERBIRD)
- Create a new account. For this, click on email underneath Create a new account.
- Thunderbird will ask to create a new email address. Click on the button Skip this and use my existing email.
STEP 4: MAIL ACCOUNT SETUP
- Fill in your personal data: Name and student email address. Leave the password field empty for now.
- Generate an application specific password in your Google account settings (see manual) and enter this in the password field.
- Click on Continue.
STEP 5: MANUAL CONFIGURATION
- Thunderbird will now look for the necessary configuration. The suggestion that Thunderbird comes up with is INCORRECT.
- Click on Manual configuration.
STEP 6: MANUALLY ENTERING DATA
Fill in at Incoming:
- Choose IMAP
- Serverhostname: imap.googlemail.com
- Port: 993
- SSL: SSL/TLS
Authentication: Normal password
Fill in at Outgoing:
- Choose SMTP
- Serverhostname: smtp.googlemail.com
- Port: 587
- SSL: STARTTLS
- Authentication: Normal password
Fill in your student email address behind username.
- Click on Done.
Now your student email account has been added to Thunderbird.