See News

Dutch Universities give Open Access another boost

As of January 31st, the Dutch universities are giving Open Access an extra boost: Researchers can participate in a pilot to make their closed publications available after six months. 

To achieve the Dutch ambition of 100% open access in 2020, the Dutch universities have made agreements with many publishers. As a result, university authors can publish open access at a discount of often 100% in many journals, but this is not yet possible for all types of publications or journals. That is why, as of now, universities will facilitate authors in making their closed academic works available to the general public six months after publication, through the universities’ repositories – in our case, UT Research Information.

This is possible thanks to Section 25fa of the Dutch Copyright Act, also known as the Taverne amendment. This amendment has been translated into concrete principles and will now be implemented as a pilot by the Association of Dutch Universities (VSNU). UT-employed authors can participate in the pilot when the academic research on which their work is based was funded wholly or partly with Dutch public funds, and when their publication is an article, conference paper, or an individual chapter in an edited collection. Participants will receive additional support where necessary.

On behalf of the VSNU, Anton Pijpers (President of the Executive Board of Utrecht University) stated: “This concrete step in implementing the Taverne amendment, granting a wide audience access to publications shortly after their publication date, is a step in the right direction. Firstly, scientists, lecturers, students and other interested parties across the world are entitled to this where it concerns research that was completed using public resources. Secondly, it contributes to the Dutch objective of achieving 100% open access.”

For more information about this pilot, please visit

Would you like to participate and make your closed publication(s) freely available? Please contact the information specialist of your faculty.