FAQ Admission

Get support in choosing a master's

This webpage gives you an overview of frequently asked questions about the admission requirements and the application process.

Admission requirements

  • What are the language requirements of the University of Twente?

    Students applying for an English/Dutch taught UT programme are required to prove command of the English/Dutch language. There are different bachelor's and master's language requirements, and exemptions are also mentioned on the different websites (other exemptions will not be made). You have to meet the language requirements before the application deadline (bachelor's / master's). Therefore, we cannot process your application without a valid certificate. Please note: the requirements when applying for fellowships may vary according to the regulations of the fellowship provider.

  • What are the admission requirements of the University of Twente?

    There are different bachelor's and master's admission requirements, depending on the programme of your choice and your previous educational background.

General admission

You can arrange your application for one of the bachelor's/master's programmes via Studielink. When registered with Studielink you are also registered with DUO.

  • What is the difference between registration and enrolment?

    Registration and enrolment are two separate issues:

    • You register for a bachelor's/master's programme via Studielink.
    • After following the instructions in order to prove your admissibility and after meeting all the administrative and financial requirements you will be officially enrolled.
  • What are the application deadlines?

    The University of Twente uses different deadlines (bachelor's / master's) for application, depending on the programme of your choice, nationality and previous education.

    Digital documents need to be uploaded before the application deadline. After the application deadline, it is no longer possible to upload anything, and your application will then not be processed.

  • My application is “incomplete”. What do I need to do?

    If your application has been considered incomplete. Please check your Osiris account to find out how you can complete your application. On the landing page of your Osiris account, please click on 'Details' behind your programme application. This will lead you to the question that is insufficient. It will also show you the information we require for this specific question. 

    After you finished the adjustment of your application, click 'continue' and don't forget to 'submit the application'. The Admission Office will re-evaluate the new information as soon as possible.

  • Which documents do I need to submit?

    The application questionnaire will depend on your nationality, country of your education and the bachelor’s or master’s programme of your choice. Therefore, the documents you need to upload may vary depending on the above-mentioned criteria. On our website, you will find examples of the requested documents (bachelor's / master's).

  • When will I hear more?

    At the University of Twente, we aim to inform you about your admissibility within two weeks after your application. This can take longer if your application is incomplete or additional information is needed to make an informed decision about your chances of success here. Should this be the case, we will contact you as soon as possible. If you wish to monitor the status of your application, please log in to Osiris and click on ‘progress’ behind your application.

    Please note: the result of the admissibility of most master's programmes will take about 4-6 weeks to be announced.

    Therefore, the advice is to apply on time. Especially if you want to apply for a scholarship at the University of Twente as a (conditional) admission letter is needed to submit a scholarship application. You can check the deadlines website to see when the application portal is open to apply (bachelor/master).

  • What is matching and e-check?

    Matching will help you determine whether or not this bachelor's programme is a good match for you and if you have the motivation and study skills for the programme and whether your expectations are realistic. Please check the matching information on the webpage of the programme of your choice for more specific matching information.

    As a prospective student, we can give you advice about your eligibility for our master’s programmes by doing the eligibility check. This check takes about five minutes to complete and will give you an indication of your chances of being admitted to the master’s programme of your choice. The outcome of the eligibility check is a personal advice to you, and it does not mean you are admitted or rejected. After completing the eligibility check, you will receive an eligibility e-check code and the instruction needed to complete your application.

  • Why is my application cancelled?

    One of the deadlines has passed, the University of Twente. UT uses different deadlines (bachelor’s / master’s) for the application and enrolment process, depending on the programme of your choice, nationality and previous education.

    You have submitted an application via Studielink, but Studielink but did not complete your application in our online application portal Osiris. Please see the deferral options (bachelor’s / master’s).  

  • I got accepted for two programmes, but I only see one Offer of Admission?

    You can apply for multiple programmes if you want to. However, you have to follow the application procedure separately for every each of the programme’s. When you are accepted to multiple programme’s your will receive multiple Offer of Admissions. When you log in to your Osiris account, you will see the first offer of admission appear. You need to answer this one first before you will see the second, or when applicable, the other offer of admissions. You can also accept more offers of admission if you are still not sure which programme you want to follow. Do not worry, because the offer of admission is not binding. You can still withdraw your application if you want to.

  • How can I edit my application after it has been submitted?

    All personal, address and/or contact details need to be changed via your Studielink account, and it is not possible to make any changes in the online application form in the Osiris application. After we have verified your personal details, it is not possible to change them anymore. Your personal details will be verified based on your identity document (ID card/passport) according to Dutch law. However, you can always change your address and/or contact details within your Studielink account.

    It is not possible to make any changes after you have submitted your application, only after your application has been processed and has been considered to be incomplete, you will be able to make any necessary changes.

  • Can I defer my application to the next intake moment?

    Yes, it is possible to defer your application to the next intake moment.

    For more information on how to arrange your deferral, check out our bachelor’s or master’s page for the details.

  • How can I apply for a pre-master's programme?

    It is not possible to apply directly for a pre-master's programme. You need to put in an application for the master's programme of your choice through Studielink. We will take your application under consideration and will then proceed to transfer it to a pre-master's programme in case you are not directly eligible for a master's programme.

Certified photocopies

During your admission process at the University of Twente, we request you to provide us with certified photocopies after you have received a (conditional) admission letter. Dutch law requires the University of Twente to pursue these certified photocopies of the final documents (after graduation) to finalize a student's enrolment. Please send us certified photocopies of your final documents. If you still have to pass your diploma/degree, please wait until you have received the final documents, as no temporary or predicted documents are accepted. The deadline to submit the certified photocopies is before the intake moment of your study. Please be aware that you will not be enrolled if we do not receive the documents.

Keep in mind
  • Certified photocopies cannot be sent digitally by email attachment, please read the given instructions.
  • Please do not provide us with your original documents. The documents you provided cannot be returned to you. Received documents at the University of Twente are from that point onwards the possession of the University of Twente.
  • What is the intention of the requested certified photocopies, and which authority can certify my documents?

    During your admission process at the University of Twente, we request you certified photocopies after you have received your (conditional) admission letter. The University of Twente requests certified photocopies to counter fraud and it is required by Dutch law.

    A certified photocopy is a regular photocopy of the original document that has an official original stamp, official original signature, and date (on all pages) placed by an authorized institution. By stamping and signing the certified photocopy, the authority confirms that it has seen and approved the primary document. 

    The conditions of the certified photocopies are:

    1. The certified photocopy must show all details of the primary document.
    2. The certified photocopy must have readable text, visible images, and the full size of the paper.
    3. Contain all pages, front and back of each page in the correct order of the primary document;
    4. Each page needs an official original stamp and an official original signature from the endorsing authority. The official original stamp and official original signature can be from a notary or educational institute.

    There are three options to get your photocopies certified:

    1. Your previous educational institution. Normally you can request a certified photocopy from the authority who provided you with the original document.
    2. Notary. You can request a certified photocopy from a recognized notary, a notarized document includes a notary stamp/certificate.
    3. The Student Service Desk from the University of Twente can provide certification as a service for you. You will be asked to provide your original documents (diploma and transcript of records), regular photocopies of the documents and your ID card/passport, after which certified copies will be made free of charge. Be aware Student Services will not make any regular photocopies. Regular photocopies can be made at the Union Shop (Bastille building) or at the Xerox Service Point (Carré building).

    Please do not provide us with your original documents. The documents you provided cannot be returned to you. Received documents at the University of Twente are from that point onwards the possession of the University of Twente.

  • Which documents need to be translated, and who is allowed to do this?

    In case the diploma and transcript of records are written in a language other than English or Dutch, we also need a certified translation of both documents in English or Dutch (other languages are not accepted). The translation must be done by an official translator or your educational institution. These documents should contain an official original stamp, official original signature, and date (on all pages) set by the translator.

  • Where can I hand/send in my certified photocopies?

    During your admission process at the University of Twente, we request certified photocopies after you have received your (conditional) admission letter.

    In that case, you can hand in your certified photocopies at the desk of Student Services (Contact Centre - Boerderij) see this location, building number 42. Or you can send them to:

    University of Twente
    Student Services - Admission
    Drienerlolaan 5                           
    7522 NB Enschede
    The Netherlands

    Certified photocopies cannot be sent digitally by email attachment.

  • I have handed/sent in my documents. How do I know that you received them?

    As soon as the University of Twente has processed your documents, you will be informed via email. Be aware that it could take a couple of days between receiving and processing the documents.

    This takes time because the documents will be first received at the central post office of the University of Twente. Then after, it will be distributed to our department. The admission office will receive the documents and need to process the received documents accordingly. Once the documents are fully reviewed and processed, you will be informed. We thank you for your understanding.

  • What is a graduation statement?

    When you have finished your diploma/degree, but you still have to wait on the official degree certificate, you can send in a graduation statement. A graduation statement may also be known as a provisional or temporary certificate.

    A graduation statement is an original letter issued after you are officially graduated, on official stationery containing at least the following data:

    • Full name of the graduate, date, and place of birth.
    • Obtained title and programme.
    • Official graduation date (please note that this date should be before the start of the academic year/intake moment).
    • Signature and title of the authorized person of the graduate institute.

    We do not accept a graduation statement with a graduation date in the future. For example, “student Adam Smith is in his final semester and will be graduating on 22 July 2019” with the issue date of 1 June 2019. 

    Please hand/send in the original graduation statement. We do not accept a (certified) photocopy of the graduation statement. Attached to the graduation statement, we need a certified photocopy of your official final transcript of records in the original language, and when this is not English/Dutch, an official translation in English/Dutch is needed.

    We will accept your graduation statement for the first enrolment and the enrolment will take place on a so-called ‘blockade’ which means a temporary enrollment. You have to send in a certified photocopy of your official final diploma/degree after you have received it during your first year of study. If you do not hand in a certified photocopy of your final diploma/degree, you cannot de-enrol, re-enrol for the next year, or receive your degree from the University of Twente. 

    The graduation statement is not accepted when it is older than one year by the start of your study at the University of Twente.

    Below is an example of the University of Twente graduation statement. The layout of the document may vary depending on the layout of your institution.

Chat offline (info)
To use this functionality you first need to:
Accept cookies