Are you going to study a Dutch or English master's? Make sure you meet the language requirements of the study in time.
Find out what language requirements apply and what certificates you may need to provide.
The University of Twente has several Dutch-taught (pre-)master’s programmes. These programmes have a Dutch language requirement, besides the English language requirement.
Success in your studies requires a high level of English proficiency. Therefore, prospective master's students with an international degree must meet the English language requirement. Make sure you have obtained a valid English test result before the application deadline. If your application is accompanied by a language test score report with a test date after our application deadline, we will not process it. Therefore, make sure to do the test in advance, as it will take time for you to get the official certificate.
As proof that you meet this requirement, you will be asked in the application procedure to upload one of the requested language certificates below. Only these internationally recognised test results will be accepted. Without a valid certificate, your application cannot be processed.
intake February 2023
- IELTS (academic) with an overall band score of at least 6.5 and certificates, not older than two years.
- TOEFL iBT (internet-based) with an overall score of 90 and certificates, not older than two years. Please note that the University of Twente does not accept the MyBest scores of the TOEFL test.
- Cambridge C1 Advanced, formerly known as; Cambridge English Advanced (CAE) obtained with an A, B or C grade.
- Cambridge C2 Proficiency, formerly known as; Cambridge English Proficiency (CPE) obtained an A, B or C grade.
INTAKE september 2023 and onwards
The English language requirements have been adjusted for the academic year 2023-2024. Prospective master’s students still need the same overall score for the IELTS, TOEFL, and Cambridge tests. However, for the academic year 2023-2024, they will also need a minimum score on each of the sections of these tests. The specific subscores per test can be found in the table below.
IELTS (academic), not older than two years
TOEFL iBT, not older than two years
minimum overall score: 6.5
minimum score on each section: 6.0
minimum overall score: 90
minimum score on each section: 21
minimum overall score: 176
minimum score on each section: 169
* UT only accepts Cambridge tests from 2015 onwards (when the subscores were introduced).
KEEP IN MIND
- The language requirements when applying for a scholarship may be different because scholarship providers may have different requirements.
- If you are a native English speaker and/or you have (fully) completed your education in English, you also have to meet the specific English language requirement.
You are exempted from the English language requirement if you hold:
- A relevant bachelor’s degree and/or master's degree from an accredited academic institution in the Netherlands
- A three-year bachelor’s degree in Australia, Canada (English-speaking part), Ireland, New Zealand, UK or USA. When your awarding institution is in one of these countries, but your teaching institution was not, you are not exempted. The same rule applies to distance (online) education.
- You have English as an exam subject during your secondary education. This exemption depends on your country, please check our country list to make sure if you must do the additional English language test or not. Please note: not every master's programme allows this as an exemption. Please submit your application and your application will be reviewed whether or not an additional English language test is required.