Service Portal

When you are required to travel in or outside the Netherlands for your position, this qualifies as a business trip. Commuter traffic, travel on campus and travel between campus and the ITC are not considered business trips by the UT. Temporary employment elsewhere in the Netherlands or abroad does not qualify as a business trip.


A business trip is undertaken in consultation with the budget holder. If your business trip has been approved, the UT will pay for the necessary costs for travel and accommodation. More information on the conditions to be met is available in the Regulations on declaring expenses University of Twente.

Domestic business travel

Where possible, domestic business travel is to be done by public transport. For this travel you will use a NS Business Card of the UT. If travelling by public transport is not possible or practical, your manager can grant you permission to travel by car. In that case, you will be entitled to a tax-exempt allowance of €0.19 per kilometre. If you travel with one or more colleagues per car, only the person whose car is being used has the right to this reimbursement.

International business travel

To book airplane tickets and more for work-related travel, see the information proviced by the UT Travel Unit. The Travel Unit can also assist with complex travel arrangements.

collective travel insurance

If you will be taking an international business trip, make sure to apply for the UT's collective travel insurance in a timely manner. To do so, use the 'International registration and travel insurance' web application.

Working abroad for a longer period

If you work abroad for a longer period, this is not seen as a business trip, but as "employment abroad". In addition to registering for collective travel insurance, it is important that you arrange a number of matters, including in the field of social security and health insurance. The information is summed up on the the 'working abroad' page. Practical matters need to be arranged through the outgoing staff web application.

Practical matters travel expenses

If you have incurred expenses during a business trip and these expenses are eligible for reimbursement, you can submit an expense statement afterwards. Normally, reimbursement is given on the basis of original invoices. If the dean or director is of the opinion that, considering the circumstances, you cannot be reasonably expected to submit proof, they may decide that a written statement of the expenses incurred suffices.

Travel expenses claim

You can claim travel expenses up to six months upon return from a trip. After these six months, the right to receive an allowance for expenses incurred lapses. Travel and accommodation expenses incurred on business trips can be claimed through the web application for “expense reports employee”, which you can find on the UT’s Employee Portal.

Proceed to Declaree application

Advance mission expenses

If you expect to spend more than € 200 on travel and accommodation, you can apply for an advance. Use the advanced payment request web application to do so.

Standard travel allowances

The UT uses a different reimbursement scheme for these countries in Africa, Asia, Central and South America and Eastern European countries (non-EU members). If you go on a business trip to one of these countries, you are entitled to a standard travel allowance for expenses incurred during the business trip. This reimbursement excludes expenses for overnight stay. The latter expenses will, just like with trips to all other countries, only be reimbursed upon submission of the original invoices.

The standard fee is made up of various components, which are listed below. To determine the amount of the standard reimbursement, we use the same amounts that are used in the Collective Labor Agreement for Central Government Staff (Appendix 7). Each component is expressed as a percentage of the amount for miscellaneous expenses included for that specific country in the appendix 8 of the CLA for central government staff: tarieflijst verblijfkosten buitenlandse dienstreizen (price list for accommodation and miscellaneous expenses incurred on foreign business trips) (only in Dutch).


  • Hourly component (small expenses): 1.5% of the amount for miscellaneous expenses for every hour of the business trip.
  • Breakfast allowance: 12% of the amount for miscellaneous expenses for every period from 06:00 to 08:00 falling within the business trip.
  • Lunch allowance: 20% of the amount for miscellaneous expenses for every period from 12:00 to 24:00 falling within the business trip.
  • Dinner allowance: 32% of the amount for miscellaneous expenses for every period from 18:00 to 21:00 falling within the business trip.

Please note: It may be possible that standard travel allowance is not allowed for a specific trip because of subsidy regulations. In such case, the regular reimbursement scheme applies and the UT only reimburses the expenses you can prove to have incurred.

My bookmarks


Please wait a moment...