Service Portal

Working abroad for more than 10 weeks

If you are going to work abroad for a period of more than ten weeks, it is important to make proper arrangements at least three months in advance before your departure. This page tells you all about the preparations you need to make.

Agreeing on tasks, salary, and reimbursements

First of all, it is important that you agree on a number of matters with your supervisor. They are:

  • Permission from your supervisor to work abroad
  • Agreements on whether or not your salary will continue to be paid
  • Agreements on the costs in the event of a long-term stay abroad

This is particularly important in terms of being able to properly assess the consequences for your social security entitlement. What those consequences are, depends on your personal situation and the organization, and the country in which you are going to work.

Applying for your A1/certificate before your departure

If you are going to work in a country that is a member of the EU, EEA or another treaty country, we advise you to apply for an A1/certificate of coverage from Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB) before your departure.

The Netherlands has concluded social security treaties with 24 countries. Such treaties contain provisions about the social insurance legislation to be applied.

Why an A1/certificate?

The decision by the SVB determines the country you are socially insured in. If during your stay abroad you remain socially insured in the Netherlands, you must maintain your Dutch healthcare insurance. The organization or company for which you will be working abroad temporarily may also ask you about the A1/certificate of coverage. You will need this certificate if you want to claim medical expenses under your worldwide insurance cover. In that case, you must be included in the Menzis collective health insurance scheme and be additionally insured. See the additional information about the 'Wereldwijd clausule (WWC) in PDF.

How can I apply for an A1/certificate?

Enter your details via the ‘Outgoing staff’ web application. The HR department uses the information you enter to apply for the A1/certificate via the SVB employers portal. Once issued by the SVB, HR receives a digital version of the certificate. You will receive the original from SVB directly by post.

The country I am going to work in is not an EU, EEA, or treaty country

If you are going to work in a country other than an EU, EEA, or treaty country, HR can still ask the SVB to make a decision on which country’s social insurance legislation will apply to you. In this case, too, you need to enter your details via the ‘Outgoing Staff’ web application. We will then contact you and submit the application to the SVB.

Registering for collective travel insurance

The University of Twente has taken out collective travel insurance for staff members traveling abroad on behalf of the faculty or department. You must always register for this when traveling abroad on behalf of the University of Twente. You can do this via the web application in the employee portal:

Where do I pay my taxes?

In which country you pay tax depends on what is determined in the tax treaty with the country concerned. In many cases you will continue to pay tax in the Netherlands. However, this will not be the case in all situations.

If you have any questions, please contact HR Services, Ask HR via MyHR/AFAS.

My bookmarks


Please wait a moment...