This master's in Computer Science focuses not only on the development of ICT systems in their societal context, but also on technological aspects and applications of embedded systems.
Our two-year Master’s in Computer Science is internationally oriented and taught entirely in English. You can start either in September or February. The pre-master's begins in September. Here, you can read more about the programme structure and the pre-master's. You can learn more about our admission requirements and also find more information about career perspectives and read testimonials of Computer Science students.
We also offer a Bachelor's (BSc.) in Technical Computer Science.
ICT is omnipresent in modern society. The latest hardware and software developments are crucial in domains such as social media, security, health, energy, ICT systems, finance and telecom. That's why our programme focuses on the development of ICT systems in their societal context and also on technological aspects and applications of embedded systems.
Development processes of sophisticated software systems are also crucial. You will be trained to combine a scientific mind-set with specialist technical knowledge. You will also learn to design, analyse, validate and implement state-of-the-art ICT systems in their operational context.
As a master’s student in Computer Science, you will engage in in-depth study of wireless and sensor systems, computer security and formal methods for reliability. At the same time, you will focus on more fundamental aspects of information technology, such as software engineering and information systems. Many students are co-author of scientific reports, for example for the Digital Society Insitute. You can choose one of four specialisations:
- Cyber Security, also available as a double degree
- Data Science & Technology
- Software Technology.
- Internet Science & Technology
- Our Computer Science programme combines highly specialised areas of computer science. The two main pillars are: Dependable Networked Systems and Human Centered Computing. We will give you the tools you need to make a valuable and lasting contribution to this fascinating and challenging field.
- Your lecturers are renowned researchers eager to share their latest insights with you. They have world-leading competencies in the ability to do multi-disciplinary research. The quality of our research is excellent and our societal impact is strong. Times Higher Education (THE) has ranked us as number 85 in the world in 2019 in the Computer Science subject.
- We combine computer science and engineering with social sciences. This is typical of the UT’s High Tech Human Touch approach.
- Our university is very active in European public-private partnerships.
- We have a successful tenure track system for scouting young talent. PhD students from across the world are enthusiastic about our open research environment for sharing and collaborating.
- As part of the most entrepreneurial university in our country, Computer Science delivers about four spinoff companies each year. Twente is a great place for incubator centres, accelerators and venture capitalists.
The job market remains vibrant for computer science professionals. Our graduates find employment in ICT R&D, IT management and IT consulting, in settings that range from small companies to major multinationals. Many start their own business, go to work for government agencies or pursue a PhD.
Typical jobs could be:
- (Cyber) Security Consultant
- Security Analyst
- (Information) Security Architect
- Data Scientist
- Web Service Engineer
- Software Developer
- Verification Engineer
Find out what other career opportunities you might have depending on your specialisation.