Connect our high-tech society as a flexible, futureproof communication expert
The spreading of fake news and filter bubbles that polarize society. The continuing emergence of new media applications that affect us. Innovations successfully entering the market while others fail unexpectedly. Persuasive apps or a 3D environment using virtual reality that change the behaviour of its user. The digital traces we leave behind online that can be used to predict our attitudes and behaviour. It’s all human-human interaction and human-tech interaction. It’s all communication science.
As a communication scientist, you study human behaviour and interaction in the context of our high-tech digital society. At UT, you do not just immerse yourself in the theory, you also tackle practical challenges. We familiarise you with the bigger challenges of today and tomorrow, and explore the important, pervasive role of communication in solving these issues. Are you an ambitious, forward-looking student eager to make a difference through exciting, sustainable and inclusive communication?
Communication Science at University of twenty; 100% future proof
We will equip you to be a communication scientist who can look at communication and relevant international changes from different perspectives. In order to prepare you for the future, we have structured our programme around three contemporary themes: Digital Society, Changing Organisations and Persuasive Tech.
Are you curious what it is like to study a communication study programme? Daan shows you a day in his student life.
We can think of dozens of reasons why you should sign up for the Bachelor’s programme Communication Science. Here are the five most important ones!
Naturally, we want you to feel that you are in the right place during your studies. With that in mind, we’ve identified five characteristics we see in many of our students. If you recognise these qualities in yourself, or some of them, you can stop doubting doubts as far as we’re concerned: you definitely have the potential to become an excellent communication professional!
- You are not afraid of challenges and change, and you are relaxed about uncertainties. You don’t know what the world will look like in ten years’ time, but you think ahead and see new opportunities.
- Analysing and interpreting? You enjoy doing both. You eagerly research how communication, in all its possible forms, can make our world more understandable and beautiful.
- You’re not necessarily into programming, but the innovations and latest media applications of today certainly interest you. In our Communication Science programme you will develop good communication skills, such as speaking, writing, presenting and analysing, while also gaining in-depth insight into the major role of tech in our society.
- You are empathetic. As a communication professional, you will become an important connecting link in and for organisations. An ability to empathise with, and coordinate among, multiple internal and external parties is a major asset.
- The organisations of the future are looking for change managers and communication professionals willing to take on strategic roles. Do you see yourself doing that in a few years’ time? Then we will help prepare you academically and professionally.
There are all sorts of possibilities on the job market for communication scientists. Throughout the programme we will prepare you for these possibilities by introducing you to all kinds of possible future jobs. To give you an idea of the possibilities, we’ve listed 12 of the most frequently occurring positions acquired by our Communication Science graduates.
- UX (user experience) Designer
- Big Data, Search & Conversion Marketer
- Campaign Manager
- Media Designer
- Social Media Agent
- Online Privacy Specialist
- Marketing & Communication Policy Advisor
- Digital Marketing Manager
- Public Relations Officer
- Crisis Manager
- Trend Watcher
- Copywriter and SEO Marketer