In Industrial Engineering and Management (IEM) you will use models and techniques to systematically analyse the strengths and weaknesses of a company and implement improvements.
We also offer a master's programme (MSc.) in Industrial Engineering and Management.
What is Industrial Engineering and Management?
As a specialist in Industrial Engineering and Management, you will make organizations and business processes more efficient, maximize profit, minimize risks and boost competitiveness and the quality of operations. The programme teaches you how to effectively implement the required changes and evaluate their effects on the organization, its personnel, finances and market position. In doing so you will combine knowledge from the fields of business administration, ICT, mathematics and engineering.
Focus on different sectors
Industrial Engineering and Management focuses on several sectors, particularly industry, transport, healthcare and the financial sector. During internships and graduation projects, you will work on issues currently being experienced by prominent companies from these sectors. The programme offers a wide variety of course options. For instance, many of our students make use of the opportunity to study abroad for six months or to go on an international internship.
why IEM at the university of Twente?
The world and its problems are changing: the society in which we live is becoming increasingly complex. Developments such as ageing populations, economic decline, problems in healthcare and climate change are all contributing factors. Companies that want to survive in this climate need to be proactive. They must handle their resources efficiently and act sustainably. As a result of these changes, companies are becoming increasingly complex and are increasingly organizing themselves on a global scale. Most of today’s companies are part of a network of companies.
Wanted: a new kind of problem solver
Obviously, the demand for people that can oversee all these complexities is growing. People who are trained to take on complex processes, to analyse complex problems and come up with solutions. People who are analytical and who have insight into the engineering and mathematical sides of problems, but who also know how companies and business processes work. People with the professional, social and entrepreneurial skills needed to successfully implement lasting solutions. People who are involved, who are passionate and who want to have an impact in the real world.
Improving the world in a corporate context
During the Bachelor's programme Industrial Engineering and Management, we will teach you to be what we call 'do-gooders in a business context'. You will learn to improve processes in businesses, hospitals and at government level. You will learn to analyse problems, devise solutions and to then implement them. During our programme, there is a strong emphasis on quantitative subjects. These will teach you to programme, design models and do calculations. Also, at the UT you will start to work on your social, professional and – perhaps most importantly - your entrepreneurial skills. Alongside that, you will have the opportunity to gain experience in the business world: through internships or studying abroad you can apply the knowledge you have gained anywhere in the world, thus developing a broad international perspective.
Need for processes, efficiency and sustainability
The Bachelor's programme Industrial Engineering and Management focuses on:
- Processes: improving (business) processes
- Efficiency and effectiveness: coming up with the best solution
- Sustainability: designing sustainable business processes
The 6 P's for the Industrial Engineering and Management programme at the UT
We do this by following our 6 P-mix:
1. Process: Industrial engineers and managers think about the best and smartest way of organizing processes.
2. Purpose: With us, you will learn to carefully identify and pursue your target, so that you really add value.
3. People: In this programme you will also learn to understand people's needs, so that they feel comfortable in an organization. You will learn to consider company values from the human perspective of employees, but also from the customer's perspective.
4. Profit: Profitability is part of business administration. With us you will learn how that works.
5. Passion: At the UT you will meet enthusiastic teachers eager to bring out the best in you as a student. And you will also come across enthusiastic students who want to give their best.
6. Planet: companies today operate on an increasingly international level. Respect for humans and nature is becoming more and more important. During this programme you will become familiar with the ins and outs of these challenges.
IEM, a fit for you?
Are you entrepreneurial, social, critical, analytical and efficient? Did you choose a technical profile in secondary school, but are you also interested in business? Or do you have a technical profile, while not being keen on hard-core engineering? Then the Bachelor's programme Industrial Engineering and Management may be the programme for you. Industrial Engineering and Management brings engineering and business administration together by equipping you to help companies improve their processes. Do you enjoy a horizontal organization that allows for students and teachers to call each other by their first name? And a programme with lots of room for personal choices, yet also offering strong personal guidance? Then the UT is the place for you.