Department of Industrial Engineering and Business Information Systems (IEBIS) - Faculty of Behavioural, Management and Social Sciences (BMS)
P.O. Box 217
7500 AE Enschede
Office: RA 3301 (Ravelijn)
Tel: +31 (0) 53 489 4715
Arturo E. Pérez Rivera is a PhD candidate within the Department of Industrial Engineering and Business Information Systems at the University of Twente. He holds a master’s degree in Industrial Engineering and Management (2012) from the University of Twente and a bachelor’s degree in Industrial and Systems Engineering from the Universidad Tecnológica Centroamericana in San Pedro Sula, Honduras (2009). Arturo’s research is part of the Synchromodal IT project, and deals with the tactical and operational management of synchromodal transport processes. Specifically, his research is about the anticipatory scheduling of freight in synchromodal transport using mathematical models and information systems.
In addition to his research activities, Arturo has been an active volunteer in the international community of the University of Twente and Enschede. At the University of Twente, he was President (2015-2016) and Treasurer (2014-2015) of the Latin American Student Association LA VOZ, interim President (2017) and member of the Steering Committee (since 2017) of UniTe, the umbrella association for World Associations of the Student Union, and Twente Representative (2015-2017) in the Beta PhD Council of the Beta Research School. In Enschede, he is part of the Pastoral management group and co-organizer of the International Mass (since 2015) at the St. James Roman Catholic church.
- Synchromodal Transport Planning
- Anticipatory Freight Scheduling
- Real-time Decision Making
- Combinatorial Optimization
- Green Logistics Management
- A.E. Pérez Rivera, M.R.K. Mes (2017). Integrated scheduling of drayage and long-haul operations in synchromodal transport. Under review.
- A.E. Pérez Rivera, M.R.K. Mes (2017). Anticipatory Scheduling of Freight in a Synchromodal Transportation Network. BETA Working Paper 533. Under review.
- A.E. Pérez Rivera, M.R.K. Mes (2017). Scheduling Drayage Operations in Synchromodal Transport. In Bektas, T., et al. (Eds.), Computational Logistics – ICCL 2017, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Volume 10572, pp. 404-419. Springer. DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-68496-3_27
- A.E. Pérez Rivera, M.R.K. Mes (2017). Integrated scheduling in synchromodal transport. LOGMS 2017 Conference Proceedings, Bergen, Norway.
- A.E. Pérez Rivera, M.R.K. Mes (2017). Scheduling synchromodal freight transport using approximate dynamic programming. VeRoLog 2017 Conference Proceedings, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- M.R.K. Mes, A.E. Pérez Rivera (2017). Approximate Dynamic Programming by Practical Examples. In: Richard Boucherie and Nico M. van Dijk (Eds.), Markov Decision Processes in Practice. International Series in Operations Research and Management Science (248). Springer. ISBN 9783319477664. DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-47766-4_3
- A.E. Pérez Rivera, M.R.K. Mes (2016). Service and transfer selection for freights in a synchromodal network. In Paias, A., Ruthmair, M., and Voβ, S. (Eds.), Computational Logistics – ICCL 2016, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Volume 9855, pp. 227-242. Springer. DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-44896-1_15
- A.E. Pérez Rivera, M.R.K. Mes (2016). Anticipatory Freight Selection in Intermodal Long-haul Round-trips. Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review. Volume 105: 176-194, 2017. DOI 10.1016/j.tre.2016.09.002
- A.E. Pérez Rivera, M.R.K. Mes (2016). Pre- and end-haulage operations in a multi-depot and multi-resource synchromodal network. TRISTAN 2016 Conference Proceedings, Oranjestad, Aruba.
- A.E. Pérez Rivera, M.R.K. Mes (2015). Dynamic Multi-period Freight Consolidation. In Corman, F., Voβ, S., and Negenborn, R.R. (Eds.), Computational Logistics – ICCL 2015, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Volume 9335, pp. 370-385. Springer. DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-24264-4_26
- A.E. Pérez Rivera, M.R.K. Mes (2015). Dynamic freight selection for reducing long-haul round trip costs. VeRoLog 2015 Conference Proceedings, Vienna, Austria.
- M.R.K. Mes, J.M.J. Schutten, A.E. Pérez Rivera (2014). Inventory routing for dynamic waste collection. Waste Management, 34(9): 1564-1576, 2014. DOI 10.1016/j.wasman.2014.05.011
- A.E. Pérez Rivera, I.M.H. Vliegen, C. van Vliet-Vroegindeweij, R.W. de Boer, W.H. van Harten (2013). Preventing delays in radiotherapy by allocating linac capacity in advance. ORAHS 2013 Conference Proceedings, Istanbul, Turkey.
- A.E. Pérez Rivera (2012). ProaRT: Preventing delays via proactive linac-capacity planning. MSc Thesis, University of Twente
- Escuela Latinoamericana de Verano en Investigación Operativa (Maintencillo, Chile) – ELAVIO 2018
- International Conference on Computational Logistics (Southampton, United Kingdom) – ICCL 2017
- International Conference on Logistics and Maritime Systems (Bergen, Norway) – LOGMS 2017
- Annual meeting of the EURO Working Group on Vehicle Routing and Logistics Optimization (Amsterdam, The Netherlands) – VeRoLog 2017
- International Conference on Computational Logistics (Lisbon, Portugal) – ICCL 2016
- Triennial Symposium on Transportation Analysis (Oranjestad, Aruba) – TRISTAN 2016
- International Conference on Computational Logistics (Delft, The Netherlands) – ICCL 2015
- Annual meeting of the EURO Working Group on Vehicle Routing and Logistics Optimization (Vienna, Austria) – VeRoLog 2015
- Annual meeting of the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (San Francisco, CA, USA) – INFORMS 2014
- Annual meeting of the EURO Working Group on Operational Research Applied to Health Services (Istanbul, Turkey) – ORAHS 2013
- Anticipatory scheduling of freight in a synchromodal transport network. 14th Beta PhD symposium at the Eindhoven University of Technology (Eindhoven, 26/09/2017) – (Presentation) (Website)
- Anticipatory freight consolidation in intermodal networks using approximate dynamic programming. Research Seminar at the Erasmus Research Institute of Management (Rotterdam, 20/05/2016) – (Presentation) (Website)
- Preventing delays via in-advance linac capacity planning. Wetenschappelijke Kringdag – Kring Klinische Fysica Radiotherapie (Amsterdam, 09/11/2012) – (Presentation)
- Winner of the IFORS-ELAVIO Scholarship (2018). Santiago, Chile.
- Finalist, with Team RANDOM, of the VeRoLog Solver Challenge (2014). Oslo, Norway.
- Finalist of the Menzis Scriptieprijs (2013). Enschede, The Netherlands.
- Winner, with Team RANDOM, of the AIMMS MOPTA Modeling Competition (2011). Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA.
- Winner of the University of Twente Scholarship UTS (2010, 2011). Enschede, The Netherlands.
- Chosen delegate of UNITEC - San Pedro Sula, Honduras at the RUBICON contest (2009). Iserlohn, Germany.
- Supply Chain Management (2014-2B, 2015-2B) – Tutor
- Business Operations Management (2014-1B, 2015-1B, 2016-1B, 2017-1B) – Tutor
- Project Consumer Products for IDE, IEM, ME (2017-Module 6) – Tutor