Virtual Private Networking (VPN) is used to set up a virtual network connection across another physical network connection. In this case, that involves setting up a VPN connection to the University of Twente, so that you will acquire an IP address starting with 130.89, even if your Internet Service Provider is not the same as that of the University of Twente. With this VPN connection you will get both an IPv4 and IPv6 UT address. All network traffic from your device will go through the network of the University of Twente.
Before you start
- This manual is written for Windows 10.
- This manual uses a consistent style of writing: references to text and buttons on screens are printed in italics, information that you have to enter yourself is printed in bold.
YOU REQUIRE THE FOLLOWING THINGS:
- An Internet connection.
- UT e-mail address.
Install and connect
STEP 1: DOWNLOAD OPENVPN
STEP 2: INSTALL OPENVPN
- Open the installer and install the software. The default settings don’t need to be changed. When you receive the notification Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device? click yes.
STEP 3: CONFIGURATION FILE
- Copy the configuration file, which you have downloaded (step 1) to c:\Program Files\Openvpn\config.
- Windows will present a warning that you'll need administrator permission. Click Continue.
- The file is placed in the right map.
- Old configuration files must be deleted:
STEP 4: ADJUST RIGHTS
Before starting Open VPN you need to do next steps.
- Go to the desktop and find OpenVPN icon. Then press right-click on it and choose “Properties”
- Select “Advanced”
- You’ll see a dialog with a check box for Run as administrator, then press OK.
STEP 5: CONNECT
- With the right mouse button click the icon from the system field (bottom right of your screen). If this icon is not visible, start "OpenVPN GUI" from the the desktop or start menu directly.
- Select the connection that you wish to make and click Connect.
- Enter your UT e-mail address.
- Enter your password.
- Click OK.
- You are connected when the OpenVPN Connection window automatically closes and the icon in the system tray gets green screens .