Virtual Private Networking (VPN) is used to set up a virtual network connection across another physical network connection. In this case, that involves setting up a VPN connection to the University of Twente, so that you will acquire an IP address starting with 130.89, even if your Internet Service Provider is not the same as that of the University of Twente. With this VPN connection you will get both an IPv4 and IPv6 UT address. All network traffic from your device will go through the network of the University of Twente.
Before you get started
- This guide has been written for MacOS 10.12 (Sierra). It is possible that the images for other versions of MacOS are slightly different, but the steps are nearly identical. Separate manuals are available for Windows, Android, iPhone, iPad, Ubuntu.
- This manual uses a consistent style of writing: references to text and buttons on screens are printed in italics, information that you have to enter yourself is printed in bold.
You’ll need the following:
- An Internet connection.
- UT e-mail address.
STEP 1: DOWNLOAD OPENVPN SOFTWARE AND SETTINGS
Download these files:
- Open the .dmg installation file.
- Double click Tunnelblick.
- Click Open when asked to open an application from the internet.
STEP 2: INSTALLATION
- Click Quit.
STEP 3: CONFIGURATION
- Open the folder with the configuration files in Finder.
- Double click the configuration file.
STEP 4: CHOOSE USERS
- Click Only Me or All Users.
STAP 5: UPDATE TUNNELBLICK (OPTIONAL)
- Start Tunnelblick
- Click Preferences
- Click Check Now
- Click Install Update
- Click Install and Relaunch
Make a connection
STEP 1: CHOOSE CONNECTION
- Click the icon in the menu bar (right top of your screen).
- Click the connection connect vpn_utwente_nl_tap.
STEP 2: USER CREDENTIALS
- At Username, enter your UT e-mail address.
- Enter your password.
- Click OK.
You are connected once the screen indicates Connected and the icon is a bright tunnel. When using MacOS High Sierra 10.13 there will probably be an error, see step 3.
STEP 3: SECURITY & PRIVACY PREFERENCES (ONLY FOR MAC OS 10.13)
When trying to connect in MacOS High Sierra 10.13 the following error appears.
To fix this error follow the following steps.
- Open Preferences of MacOS
- go to Security & Privacy
- Click on Allow at the bottom of the tab General.