Manage socio-technical change processes in the environmental, energy and water domains.
Do you believe that socio-technical change is needed to make our planet more resilient and sustainable? That such change is required to properly manage the threat of climate change and to protect natural life & resources? Are you eager to gain the knowledge, skills and competencies needed to organise and manage such changes, either locally or internationally? If so, the Master’s in Environmental and Energy Management (MEEM) at the University of Twente is the right choice for you. The programme is offered in Leeuwarden, in the province of Friesland, the Netherlands’ most challenging province with respect to environment, energy and water.
Today’s grand challenges – especially climate change, but also resource depletion, urbanisation, ecological and socio-economic stress – call for professionals able to organise, manage and lead socio-technical change. This combined focus, on thinking and doing lies at the heart of the MEEM programme. Its social science-oriented Master’s will provide you with knowledge, skills and competencies in various social science disciplines, such as Management, Public Administration, Governance and Law. This will prepare you to lead and manage socio-technical change processes in the industrial, environmental, energy and water domains.
Do you have specific questions about the MEEM programme in Leeuwarden? Start a live chat with us now!
The core of this one-year, English-taught programme consists of three interconnected domains of sustainability:
The programme teaches the interrelated management & governance of these three crucial domains, with respect to climate change mitigation and adaptation, resilience, energy transition, circular & social entrepreneurship, and achieving (related) sustainable development goals (SDGs). Graduating in one of the three domains will prepare you for working with multidisciplinary teams in business, government, consultancy or (PhD) research anywhere in the world.
Check the programme structure to learn more about the MEEM specialisations
Different universities offer master’s programmes comparable to the MEEM programme with a focus on Sustainable Development. However, the programme at the University of Twente is unique for five reasons:
- This programme offers you a sure way of adding knowledge, skills and competencies in the management and governance of socio-technical change to your Bachelor’s degree in science or engineering. The University of Twente’s unique High Tech Human Touch philosophy provides you with the perfect platform for becoming a leader in improving socio-technological systems.
- The programme offers an integrated set of knowledge (interactive courses), skills (individual and team assignments) and competencies (working on real-life problems and researching your Master’s thesis).
- The programme will equip you to convert global challenges, such as the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), into manageable local solutions, especially in the areas of climate change, resilience, the energy transition and circular urban and rural economies.
- The intensity of the programme means you will grow into a sustainability professional in one year (see also admission). It is offered by the university’s Department of Governance and Technology for Sustainability, CSTM, a globally leading knowledge centre with a vibrant worldwide network spanning both the developed and the developing world.
- The programme is offered in the province of Friesland, the Netherlands’ most challenging province with respect to environment, energy and water. It is located in Leeuwarden, Europe’s Capital of Water Technology as well as its Capital of Culture 2018 – and one of Lonely Planet’s top 3 essential destinations in Europe.