After getting your Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, you can further specialize by completing a Master’s programme. Around 75% of our graduates chose to enter our two-year, English-taught Master’s programme Mechanical Engineering. Of the other 25%, many continue on to other Master’s programmes, such as Sustainable Energy Technology or Systems & Control at the University of Twente, or a Master’s programme in aviation or automotive technology at another university. A few join the job market straight away, or start their own business.
Most Mechanical Engineering alumni enter the Master’s programme Mechanical Engineering at the University of Twente. With your Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, you are directly admissible to this Master's programme.
OTHER MASTER’S PROGRAMMES, ELSEWHERE IN THE NETHERLANDS OR ABROAD
You can also follow other Master’s programmes, like Sustainable Energy Technology or Systems & Control at the University of Twente. You are admissible to most engineering and technology Master’s programmes at our university, or at other universities in the Netherlands or abroad, although for some you may need to complete a pre-Master’s course. You can choose to do this pre-Master’s course as one of your minors during the Bachelor’s programme.
A Master’s programme in social sciences, such as Psychology, Philosophy or Business Administration, is also possible. A tailored pre-Master’s programme is usually necessary. Some students combine their post-graduate studies with our Dutch-taught Master’s programme Science Education and Communication, which allows you to work in education, among other things.
The Mechanical Engineering programme will train you as an expert in designing, improving and maintaining machines, devices, installations, constructions and processes that are vital for society – now and in the future. If you want to start a career with your Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, you have an excellence chance of finding a well-paid job. Highly educated engineers will always be in high demand in the job market. In fact, there are good opportunities right here in Twente, the fastest growing industrial region in the Netherlands. You can work wherever high-tech solutions based on a keen understanding of human and social needs are called for. Many of our Master’s graduates quickly find jobs in leadership positions, for example, as a technical specialist, or as a team leader. Some examples of where you could end up working:
- A production and development department in the machine or equipment building industry;
- In the automotive or aircraft industry;
- In the chemical or electro-technical industry;
- At a research institute, such as TNO, NLR or MARIN;
- At an engineering firm;
- In the healthcare sector, as a healthcare engineer, for example.
Well-known companies employing graduates from this programme include TNO, Unilever, Tesla, Shell and Tata Steel. In the Twente region, we have alumni working at Demcon, Apollo Vredestein, OPRA Turbines, AkzoNobel and Thales, among others.
You can also start your own business with a solution that you have developed. The UT enjoys recognition as ‘the most entrepreneurial university’ in the Netherlands. We are strong in the application of expertise to meaningfully influence society. Together with our students we like to work with the innovation specialists from Novel-T, who like to tap in to promising innovative business cases.
Spin-offs resulting from the Mechanical Engineering Bachelor’s programme
Another example is HoSt, one of the largest suppliers of bioenergy installations in Europe.