How to apply for a master's with a Dutch or non-Dutch degree?
Follow the step-by-step plan below if you:
- hold a non-Dutch or Dutch bachelor's and/or master's degree from an educational institution other than the University of Twente (UT) before the start of the academic year.
- graduate before the beginning of the academic year, but for the time being, have to complete your studies first.
If you do not meet all of the requirements for admission, you may be admissible to a pre-master's. You cannot apply for a pre-master's directly. You always have to apply for a master’s and UT will alter this to a pre-master’s registration.
You have to go through each step for every master’s you want to apply for. If you want to apply for two master's you have to go through the steps twice. If you want to follow a pre-master's during your HBO bachelor degree, please check this route.
- Step 1: Choose your master's
Did you already choose a master's? If yes, please continue with step 2. Otherwise, select a master's of your choice.
- Step 2: Check the admission requirements
The University of Twente has different admission requirements for students with an international degree and admission requirements for students with a Dutch degree when applying for a (pre-)master's. In addition, some master’s have specific admission requirements. That's why you should always check the admission page of your desired master's. Also check the language admission requirement. Make sure you comply with all these admission requirements.
- Step 3: International degrees only - do the eligibility check
For most of our (pre-)master’s, there is an online eligibility check (e-check) available to advice international students if they are eligible for a specific (pre-)master’s. It will take about five minutes to complete. Please note that this is not the official admission decision and that no rights can be derived from the outcome of the eligibility check.
For students with an international degree, it is mandatory to complete the e-check. After you have submitted your e-check you will receive an email with a code, you need to fill in this code within your application later on.
- Step 4: Check the application deadlines
Different application deadlines apply to different types of applicants.
If you intend to apply for some form of sponsorship, you will be required to meet the deadlines imposed by the sponsor. In many cases, these may be as early as nine months before the start of the master's. Also read the information about financing your study.
- Step 5: Collect application documents
To start your online application procedure you will need several documents. We have prepared example documents so that you can check the type of the document on your own. Please note that you will submit these documents digitally. If any certified photocopies are required from you the University of Twente will notify you of this and tell you where to send them.
Which documents you need exactly depends upon:
- your nationality
- your personal situation
- the study programme.
Our application system will indicate which documents you need to upload.
You can always apply even when you still have to graduate, please be aware that you need to be graduated before the start of the academic year.
- Step 6: Start the application procedure in Studielink
Create an online account for Studielink, please also check 'How to use Studielink?'. Apply via Studielink by choosing a master's and a starting date. You will receive three more emails from Studielink, confirming your application and asking you to send documents to UT. You will receive another important email with login credentials for the university-owned OSIRIS application where you can upload your documents, please go to step 7.
Never create more than one Studielink account. If you want to apply for multiple educational institutions in the Netherlands, you need to use the same Studielink account.
- Step 7: Start the application procedure in Osiris
After you applied via Studielink, you will receive an email (it can take up to 5 minutes) with an invitation to our online application portal, called Osiris. You need to log-in to Osiris there will be a possibility to upload the requested documents. Which documents you need exactly depends upon your nationality, your personal situation as well as the study programme. Our application systems will indicate which documents you need to upload. Do not forget to submit your application after completing it. After you have submitted your application, you will receive an email with the confirmation
The admission procedure contains two parts. The admission office will do the first check. When this check is complete, one of the university’s Educational Admission Committees will evaluate it. You will be informed via email when we need additional information or when the decision is made. In the decision letter, there will be more information about the following steps to take.Application fee
The University of Twente has introduced an application fee for some master’s that international students have to pay starting 1st October 2019 (for courses starting September 2020). All information about the application fee can be found in our FAQ.
- Step 8: Are you nominated for a Double Degree programme?
You are requested to fill in your UT student number in the online form. To identify you as a double degree student it is important that you fill in both your UT student number and the following code, depending on the double degree you wish to enrol in:
- Business Administration for transfer students from Berlin: TU Berlin
- Business Administration Lappeenranta University: LUT
- Chemical Engineering UST China: USTC
- Communication Studies Peking University: PKU
- Erasmus Mundus EM3E Montpellier: EM3E
- European Institute of Innovation and Technology: EIT/HCID or EIT/SaP
- Nanotechnology University of Lodz: NT - Lodz
An example would be: 1358367 EM3E
If you wish to defer your application to the next intake moment or your application was cancelled because you missed a deadline, you can always apply for the next intake moment. Please take the following steps:
- Login to your Studielink account.
- Withdraw your current master’s application.
- Make a new application for the next intake moment via Studielink before the application deadline. For some (pre-)master's - and also for specialisations within the master's - you can enrol on 1 February. Check with your desired master whether the pre-master’s or master's specialisation starts in September and/or in February.
- Upload all required documents in the Osiris application portal.
- Submit your new application via Osiris before the application deadline.
When can you start with your application?
From 1 October onwards for the upcoming September intake.
From 1 March onwards for the upcoming February intake.