After this course you will be able to:
· Indicate the purposes of (formative and summative) assessment and explain the relation between intended learning objectives, teaching and assessment (constructive alignment).
· Indicate what the points of attention are to design, construct, administer and evaluate a test or assignment that will meet the quality criteria (valid, reliable, transparent), based on the assessment cycle.
· Explain what determines the choice of an assessment method, thereby enabling you to justify your choices for your own educational situation.
· Construct an assessment plan or scheme for your own course to ensure and show the validity of the assessment.
· Construct a test/assignment specification table to show the congruence between the learning objectives and questions or criteria and the weighing or conditions related to the objectives or subparts of the course.
· Indicate what needs to be taken into account when assessing the results on a written test or assignment in a reliable and transparent manner (which involves, among other things, the construction of a reliable answer model and constructing criteria or a rubric for assignments).
· Describe the organizational points of attention that apply to (the taking of) assessments.
· Explain how assessment policy, Rules & Regulations and tasks of the Examination board and the EER are related to one's own assessment practice.
· Justify a chosen caesura and justify a chosen method for grading.
· Analyze assessment results (on student level and item/criteria level), draw conclusions, take suitable actions and use the results to evaluate the assessment (process) and teaching process.
· Indicate point of attention for effective feedback.
This course is about assessing student learning in higher education. We will use a step-by-step plan to present all that the points for attention for constructing and grading a test/assignment in a valid, reliable and transparent way. You will also learn to analyze assessment results in order to avoid that mistakes happen when assessing the results end to improve the quality one’s tests/assignment and course.
With this course we aim to ensure that you will have the basic knowledge, insights and skills to fulfil the role of an examiner. The course helps you also to construct evidences that meet the criteria for the University Teaching Qualification (UTQ) in relation to competence 3 - Assessment.
Preparation: exercises and mandatory assignments, contribution to online discussions, studying course materials.
During the sessions we will discuss the most important points of attention. With fellow participants, you will discuss the results of some of the prepared assignments. You will receive individual feedback on a selected number of assignments. The results of these assignments can be used for your UTQ portfolio.
In order to be eligible for the certificate you need to hand in all the mandatory assignments on Canvas, contribute to the online discussions and participate in all of the online sessions. For more information you can contact email@example.com.