See Human Resources

Working abroad

Working abroad for more than 10 weeks

If you are going to work abroad for a period of more than ten weeks, it is important to make proper arrangements before your departure. This page tells you all about the preparations you need to make.

 Agreeing on tasks, salary and reimbursements

First of all, it is important that you agree on a number of matters with your supervisor. They are:

  • Permission from your supervisor to work abroad
  • Agreements on whether or not your salary will continue to be paid
  • Agreements on the costs in the event of a long-term stay abroad.

This is particularly important in terms of being able to properly assess the consequences for your social security entitlement. What those consequences are, depends on your personal situation and the organization for and the country in which you are going to work.

Applying for your A1/certificate before your departure

If you are going to work in a country that is a member of the EU, EEA or another treaty country, we advise you to apply for an A1/certificate of coverage from Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB) before your departure.

The Netherlands has concluded social security treaties with 24 countries. Such treaties contain provisions about the social insurance legislation to be applied.

Why an A1/certificate?

The decision by the SVB determines the country you are socially insured in. If during your stay abroad you remain socially insured in the Netherlands, you must maintain your Dutch healthcare insurance.

The organization or company for which you will be working abroad temporarily may also

ask you about the A1/certificate of coverage. You will need this certificate if you want to claim medical expenses under your worldwide insurance cover. In that case, you must be included in the Menzis collective health insurance scheme and be additionally insured. For more information, click here.

How can I apply for an A1/certificate?

Enter your details via the ‘Outgoing staff’ web application. The HR department uses the information you enter to apply for the A1/certificate via the SVB employers portal. Once issued by the SVB, HR receives a digital version of the certificate. You will receive the original from SVB directly by post.

The country I am going to work in is not an EU, EEA or treaty country

If you are going to work in a country other than an EU, EEA or treaty country, HR can still ask the SVB to make a decision which country’s social insurance legislation will apply to you. In this case too, you need to enter your details via the ‘Outgoing Staff’ web application. We will then contact you and submit the application to the SVB.

Registering for collective travel insurance

The University of Twente has taken out collective travel insurance for staff members travelling abroad on behalf of the faculty or department. You must always register for this when travelling abroad on behalf of the University of Twente. You can do this via the web application in the employee portal:

 Where do I pay my taxes?

 As an employee of the University of Twente, you are a civil servant of the Dutch government. As a rule, you will, therefore, continue to pay your taxes in the Netherlands.