Twente Graduate School(TGS) coordinates all doctoral programmes at the University of Twente.
You caneither pursue a career in scientific research, leading to a PhD degree, or opt for a more practical, design-oriented Professional Doctorate in Engineering(PDEng).
Each programme centres on topics closely related to the work going on at our research institutes and is taught and supervised by expert researchers and designers. Find out more about the research-driven PhD opportunities or our design-oriented PDEng programmes.
The mission of theTwente Graduate School is to train and educate excellent researchers, usuallyat the start of their career, and to present andpromote excellent research and design via clustered or separate doctoral programmes. Thedoctoral candidates are trained to provetheir competence by means of a doctoral thesis.
With this mission, the TGS aimsto improve the quality of research andeducation, to accentuate the University's identity and profile and todifferentiate and individualise the specific doctoral programmes and services for itsparticipants.
- PhD and PDEng candidates experiencing immediate personal problems due tothe corona crisis, such as subsistence (living costs), housing, mental orhealth problems, and/or in case you are inneed of a coach, please contact TGS for emergency help (including the UTemergency fund) or further reference. Contact us by email: email@example.com / Tuesday and Friday from9.00-11.00 a.m. you can reach us at:
+31 6 19851634
- Registration in Hora Finita: business as usual
- Intake session: done online until further notice
- TGS Introductory Workshop of June 2021: done online (other 2021 sessions f2f or online to be decided)
- Generic course registration via Coursefinder: business as usual (Most courses are online now, ifcourses have to be postponed, the candidate will receive an email aboutonline options or rescheduling.
- Hora Finita submissions and approvals (T&SP, Qualifier, Annual interviews, 30EC certificate check): business as usual
- Qualifier/annual interviews: preferably online, unless there are valid reasons to postpone (at the discretion of the supervisors)
- Due to the COVID-19 crisis measures, University of Twente can currently offer only fully digital PhD defenses (during a lockdown or when preferred by the candidate) or 1,5-defences (when lockdown measures have been lifted).
When a PhD defence is fully digital, the PhD candidate, committee members and the supervisors don’t come to the campus but join through their laptops or computers via a video connection. The chair and the beadle join the ceremony from the campus. Live streaming is available to make it a public defence. If you want to have a look at a fully digital defence, you can view the video recordings we’ve done of previous defences.
When a PhD defence is organized as a 1,5-meter event, the candidates and their promotors are present at University of Twente during the defence, as well as the chair. The candidate can also bring two paranimfs and fifteen guests. Because the senaatskamer -where the committee meets before the defense and during the break- can only accommodate four people when keeping a 1,5-meter distance, all committee members need to join via a video connection through their laptops or computers. Live streaming is available.
We will send all participants detailed instructions for the ceremony they participate in on the Monday before the actual defence.
For more information / TGS update coronavirus see our TGS news page.