Start working less?
Will you be reaching the AOW state pension age within five years and would you like to start working less? In that case, the Vitality pact is a possible option. If you take part in the Vitality pact, you will reduce the number of working hours per week while maintaining your pension accrual. You can read more about the scheme here.
About the Vitality Pact
The Vitality pact is a component of the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (cao-NU). You can find the Vitality Pact scheme in chapter 6, paragraph 2. The number of holiday hours per year is reduced to 5 times your working hours for the remaining number of working days. In addition, you build up extra leave every week because you work a little more than the part-time factor of your new working week.
WHAT DOES THE PACT ENTAIL?
The University of Twente offers you the option of working 0.2 FTE or 0.4 FTE less from five years before your AOW entitlement age (if you are currently working full-time) at a remuneration of 90% or 80% of your original salary up to and including scale 7, while retaining full pension accrual. From scale 8 onwards, remuneration of 85% or 70% applies, with retention of the full pension accrual. The number of holiday hours per year is reduced to five times your working hours for the remaining number of working days. In addition, you build up extra leave every week by working slightly more than the part-time factor of your new working week.
Do you work part-time? Then the scheme applies proportionally. From 1 August 2023, University of Twente will compensate part of your income and your pension accrual will remain unaffected.
% that you work
% of the salary that you receive
90% (up to scale 7)
85% (from scale 8)
80% (up to scale 7)
70% (from scale 8)
WHEN CAN YOU PARTICIPATE IN THE VITALITY PACT?
You can participate in the Vitality pact if:
- you will reach the AOW state pension age within five years;
- you have been employed by the University of Twente for at least 10 years;
- your working week will be at least 16 hours after entering into the Vitality pact;
- you are not making use of a regulation for senior staff.
WHAT ARE THE CONDITIONS OF THE VITALITY PACT?
- If you participate in the Vitality Pact scheme, your participation will continue until you have reached the AOW state pension age. If your employment is terminated for a different reason, the Vitality pact will come to an end earlier.
- If you opt for the Vitality pact with 80% of working hours, you can choose after a year to extend the scheme and work only 60% of your full-time hours. You must, however, continue to work at least 16 hours.
- You can only participate after your accumulated leave from the long-term saving model (e.g. sabbatical) has been taken in full and the number of hours of leave has been reduced to a maximum of one year's credit in relation to the number of holiday hours to which you are entitled annually on the basis of your original employment contract.
- If you participate in the Vitality pact, you will not get back the hours by which your work volume has been reduced.. This is because the financial resources released will be used for recruitment and promotion within the University.
You can find an overview of all the binding conditions in the cao-NU, Article 6.13 to 6.16;
HOW DO I APPLY FOR THE VITALITY PACT?
If you wish to take part, you need to submit your request three months before you want to start via MyHR/Afas.
A request will be approved unless there are serious business interests involved. It is also possible that you will be able to take part at a later time, for example at the start of a new academic year.
How do I transfer my tasks?
We want to prevent you or your colleagues from experiencing extra work pressure as a result of taking part in the Vitality Pact. That is why we make sure that your tasks are reduced proportionally to the hours you work less. The interpretation of the new working week and the transfer of some of your tasks will therefore take place in consultation between you and your manager. You record the agreements made on the 'task transfer form' that you will find in Afas/MYHR. You must upload the completed form with your application.
Do you still have questions about the Vitality pact? Go to more info on financial aspects and the FAQ below.
Is your question not being answered, or do you want to discuss something? Please contact your manager or your HR advisor.
For ideas, comments or changes to this page, please email email@example.com