See Terms of employment

About the Vitality Pact

Will you be reaching the AOW state pension age within five years and would you like to start working less? In that case, the Vitality pact is a possible option. If you take part in the Vitality pact, you will reduce the number of working hours per week while maintaining your pension accrual. This brochure tells you more about this scheme and what it means for you.

The Vitality pact is a component of the new Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (cao-NU). This Collective Labour Agreement stipulates that as of 1 January 2019, all universities will introduce a Vitality pact. The text of this brochure based on Article 6.13 to 6.16 of the cao-NU. No rights can be derived from the contents of this brochure. The text of the Collective Labour Agreement shall take precedence.

The University of Twente offers you the possibility, once you are within five years of the state pension age, of retaining your full pension accrual while reducing your working hours by 0.2 FTE and your salary to 85% of your original salary, or a reduction of 0.4 FTE and to 70% of your original salary (if you currently work full-time). If you work part-time, the scheme applies pro rata. The University of Twente compensates for part of your income and your pension accrual is not affected.


% that you work

% of the salary that you receive

Pension accrual

Alternative A




Alternative B




When can you participate in the Vitality pact?

You can participate in the Vitality pact if:

  • you will reach the AOW state pension age within five years;
  • you have been employed by the University of Twente for at least 10 years;
  • your working week will be at least 16 hours after entering into the Vitality pact;
  • you are not making use of a regulation for senior staff.

What are the conditions of the Vitality pact?

  • The scheme will initially be introduced for a limited period: from 1 January 2019 to 31 December 2021. During this period, you can join the Vitality pact.  
  • If you join on 31 December 2021, it will continue until you have reached the AOW state pension age. If your employment is terminated for a different reason, the Vitality pact will come to an end earlier.
  • If you opt for the Vitality pact with 80% of working hours, you can choose after a year to extend the scheme and work only 60% of your full-time hours. You must, however, continue to work at least 16 hours.
  • You can only participate after your accumulated leave from the long-term saving model (e.g. sabbatical) has been taken in full and the number of hours of leave has been reduced to a maximum of one year's credit in relation to the number of holiday hours to which you are entitled annually on the basis of your original employment contract.  
  • If you participate in the Vitality pact, you will not get those hours back. This is because the financial resources released will be used for recruitment and promotion within the University.

You can find an overview of all the binding conditions in the cao-NU, Article 6.13 to 6.16.

How do I apply for the Vitality pact?

If you wish to take part, you need to submit your request three months before you want to start, using the button below.

You will receive a response within one month. A request will be approved, unless there are serious business interests involved. It is also possible that you will be able to take part at a later time, for example at the start of a new academic year.


We want to prevent you or your colleagues from experiencing extra work pressure as a result of taking part in the Vitality Pact. That is why we make sure that your tasks are reduced proportionally to the hours you work less. The interpretation of the new working week and the transfer of some of your tasks will therefore take place in consultation between you and your manager. You record the agreements you made. Use this form to do so. Fill in this form and submit it to the HR department of your faculty or department.


Do you still have questions about the Vitality pact? Go to more info on financial aspects and the FAQs.
Is your question not being answered, or do you want to discuss something? Please contact your manager or your HR advisor.