A complaint should always concern a particular action. Both an 'act' and an 'omission' can constitute an action. The latter applies when you believe the University of Twente, UT staff members or a UT body should have done something but have neglected to do so. Your complaint may concern both an 'act' or an 'omission' you believe to have been improper. You may address the matter informally, but may also bring a formal complaint by way of a complaints procedure. You can initiate this procedure by writing a letter of complaint to the Executive Board.

The University of Twente's complaints procedure details how complaints are processed. The complaints procedure covers a very wide range of affairs. Complaints may be about the guidance provided by a teacher, for instance, or about uncollegial collaboration, discrimination, aggression or sexual harassment. Students (including upcoming and former students) are to lodge their complaint with the University of Twente Complaints Desk. Everyone else - including UT staff members, guest lecturers, visitors and trainees - are to submit their complaint in writing to the Executive Board.

A written complaint is to meet a number of formal requirements. In principle, a complaint is to be submitted within one year after the action that is the subject of the complaint occurred. The UT is not held to consider a complaint submitted after this term and will do so in extraordinary cases only.

The complaint is reviewed by an independent complaints committee. The hearing, during which both the complainant and the accused are given the opportunity to orally elaborate their positions, forms an important part of this review. The complaints committee lays down its findings in a written advice. The Executive Board subsequently comes to a decision on dealing with the complaint, basing itself on this written advice.

For the entire complaints procedure, the Dutch language prevails. This is because the procedure is based on Dutch laws and regulations, including the General Administrative Law Act, the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities, several codes of conduct and the University of Twente Complaints Procedure (regulation).

Should you disagree with how the complaint is dealt with by the Executive Board, you may lodge a complaint with the National Ombudsman.