Starting January 1st 2018, the MIRA Institute on Biomedical Technology and Technical Medicine, the Experimental Centre for Technical Medicine and the health related educational programmes are integrated in the new Technical Medical Centre of the University of Twente.
The Technical Medical Centre aims to improve healthcare by personalised technology.
We improve healthcare through:
- Education – modern engineering based educational programmes covering the healthcare value chain and addressing societal needs, delivering future professionals needed for innovation in healthcare;
- Research & Development – excellence in interdisciplinary translational research in the fields of translational physiology, bioengineering technology, biomedical imaging, bio robotics and health sciences, delivering knowhow & personalised technology for early diagnosis and targeted treatment of diseases and an improved independency of patients;
- Collaboration – fostering partnerships and collaboration in a global hub-and-spoke network with (academic) medical centres and the techmed industry/SME’s, delivering new solutions and true impact in healthcare.
The TechMed Centre is a leading Innovation Hub with state-of-the-art infrastructure ranging from research labs, preclinical testbeds, simulated hospital environments up to the actual healthcare system. In our mission to impact society, we stimulate entrepreneurship and enable (new) companies to grow within our regional Novel-T ecosystem, and collaborate with industry, hospitals, governments and insurance agencies on the development of new solutions for healthcare.
Some relevant facts & figures about the University of Twente and healthcare:
- We educate 1500 students in our TechMed Bachelor & Master programmes
- We annually train 500 professionals by Lifelong learning
- 300 fte scientific staff
- 40% of the portfolio of funded scientific projects in focusing on healthcare
- 50% of the spin-off companies in dedicated to healthcare
Improving healthcare by personalised technology
Technology is a tool to enable high-quality healthcare. Not only for diagnosis and treatment, but also for improving the quality of life and to stimulate independent living.
We strive to have a significant impact on society, both by scientific excellence as well as by linking fundamental research to clinical applications, from the nano to the global scale. Ultimately, we bring our technology to the clinic or to the home environment. For this purpose, it is imperative to have close working relations with clinical and industrial partners.