When on campus, access to sources the University of Twente is subscribed to (e.g. journals, book-collections, databases and platforms) will be provided automatically based on IP-address when using Eduroam or UTnet (UT fixed network). This access will not work when off-campus, as you will not be recognized as a UT member. To access content the University of Twente is subscribed to from anywhere in the world as a UT student or employee, please consult the options below. Please note that an EduVPN-connection (UT-standard) is not sufficient to get access to paid content, and that clearing browser cache (cookies and history) is sometimes necessary when access is not granted.
Get access via the University Library website
Databases A-Z and FindUT both make use of automatic authentication for staff/students. Tips on using FindUT can be found here.
Install the Lean Library Plug-in
The Lean Library Plug-in (download) is available for most frequently used browsers: FireFox, Chrome and latest versions of Edge and Safari (MAC OS 10.15.0 or higher). Once installed, this browser extension has various functions:
- It enables off-campus users to access the full University Library collection
- It informs users (on and off-campus) about alternative access to online content
- It links to Open Access alternatives to online content
- It allows Google Scholar to recognize users as University of Twente member and automatically shows relevant UT information and links
The Lean Library Plug-in will notify users when they are on a page with subscribed content of the University Library. The plugin shows an icon in the bookmarks bar that turns green when the user has access, and grey when the user does not have access. If content of the page cannot be accessed through a paid subscription, the Lean Library Plug-in will automatically check for Open Access versions of an article. Watch this video to learn more about this browser extension:
Using the LEAN Library Plugin is completely anonymous. The plug-in doesn’t collect any personal information unless actively shared. And it doesn’t collect IP addresses or device’s unique device IDs. You can find the privacy statement of the plugin here.
For users of reference manager Zotero, integration with the plug-in is possible.
Bookmark and use the off-campus access button
The off-campus access button allows access to content that the University Library is subscribed to. To start using it, do one of the following:
- Internet Explorer and Edge: right-click on the off-campus access button below and choose 'Add to favourites' or drag the button to the favourites bar.
- Firefox, Chrome and Safari: drag the off-campus access button below to the bookmarks toolbar. Make sure this toolbar is displayed and the browser accepts cookies.
The off-campus access button won't automatically show a notification when the visited page gives access to content the University Library is subscribed to. However, when access to certain content is suspected, one click on the off-campus button enables login using your University of Twente credentials to access the content. The off-campus button and the Lean Library Plug-in can be used side by side.
Use the example shown below to get the full text paper:
- Open the link in an internet browser.
- Recognition as UT member is not yet accomplished; only the option to purchase the article is shown
- Click on the off-campus access button.
- AUT login screen appears. Log in with username (M or S number) and password.
- The article page will change: the option to download the pdf for free is now visible. If not, click on the off-campus access button again.
Please note: Access to resources is only possible when the UT has a subscription.
Last edit: 1 September 2022