Working abroad


Working abroad for a prolonged period

If you are going to work abroad for a prolonged period, it is important to make proper arrangements at least three months in advance before your departure. This page tells you all about the preparations you need to make.

Agreeing on tasks, salary, and reimbursements

First of all, it is important that you agree on a number of matters with your supervisor. They are:

  • Permission from your supervisor to work abroad
  • Agreements on whether or not your salary will continue to be paid
  • Agreements on the costs in the event of a long-term stay abroad

This is particularly important in terms of being able to properly assess the consequences for your social security entitlement. What those consequences are, depends on your personal situation and the organization, and the country in which you are going to work.

In addition, you contact the HR advisor (or assistant) of your faculty or department. They then discuss with HR-Services what further arrangements need to be made regarding your departure abroad.

Applying for your A1/certificate before your departure

If you are going to work in a country that is a member of the EU, EEA or another treaty country, HR-services applies for an A1/certificate of coverage from Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB) . The Netherlands has concluded social security treaties with 24 countries. Such treaties contain provisions about the social insurance legislation to be applied.

Why an A1/certificate?

The decision by the SVB determines the country you are socially insured in. If during your stay abroad you remain socially insured in the Netherlands, you must maintain your Dutch healthcare insurance. The organization or company for which you will be working abroad temporarily may also ask you about the A1/certificate of coverage. You also need this statement if you want to be eligible for the extra worldwide coverage against medical expenses through the UT.. In that case, you must be included in the Menzis collective health insurance scheme and be additionally insured. See the additional information about the 'Wereldwijd clausule (WWC)’ in PDF.

Outside EU, EEA, or treaty country

If you are going to work in a country other than an EU, EEA, or treaty country, HR can still ask the SVB to make a decision on which country’s social insurance legislation will apply to you.  HR-services will then contact you and submit the application to the SVB.

Registering for collective travel insurance

UT has taken out collective travel insurance (web application) for staff members traveling abroad on behalf of the faculty or department. You must always register for this when traveling abroad on behalf of UT. 

Where do I pay my taxes?

In which country you pay tax depends on what is determined in the tax treaty with the country concerned. In many cases you will continue to pay tax in the Netherlands. However, this will not be the case in all situations.


Please contact for any further questions. Tel 053 489 8011.

For ideas, comments or changes to this page, please email

My favorites

About My Favorites
Use the Bookmark this page button on Service Portal pages to add that page to the My Favorites section. To add web applications, use the star icon in the webapplication list. To add pages outside the Service Portal, use the Add custom bookmark button above. Add your favorite apps to your bookmarks by using the favorite button

Please wait a moment...