Counselling and Support: tips for PhD and EngD students

Are you facing problems with or related to your PhD / EngD research, or are you confronted with health or personal problems? And do you feel these issues may affect your work? Take action and get help. This help is available for all PhD / EngD candidates irrespective of their status (employed, bursary or external).

There are several organizations and people both within TGS and your faculty that can provide support during your PhD track, as well as online resources: 

In case you need advice but are not sure where to go,or in case you have questions about the PhD or EngD Charter, please approachus at TGS” (via

  • PhD / EngD Counsellor

    If you face any (personal) problems or issues during your PhD or EngD track regarding e.g. motivation, productivity, cultural differences (for instance in your group), combining personal life with the heavy work load, self-confidence, etc., you can contact PhD / EngD Counsellor Lucelle Dankbaar or Minke Klomp

  • Confidential Advisor for Scientific Integrity

    In case you experience a matter dealing with scientific integrity (ref. The Netherlands Code of Conduct for Academic Practice) you can consult the webpage on scientific integrity and read the  University of Twente Scientific Integrity Complaints Procedure. The first point of contact is the university's confidential advisor for scientific integrity. Possible violations of scientific integrity as well as any follow-up steps can be discussed with him in all confidence.

  • Confidential Adviser

    You can talk to a confidential advisor for advice and support whenever you have to deal with unacceptable behaviour, such as: intimidation, (sexual) harassment, aggression, violence or discrimination, or when faced with a conflict in your work situation connected to such behaviour (ref. the Code of conduct on (sexual) harassment, intimidation, aggression, violence and discrimination).

    The confidential advisors can also be a first point of contact when you are not quite sure where to go when faced with a problematic situation. Their names and contact details can be found here.

  • Ombuds officer

    Both students and employees of the UT can be referred to the Ombuds Officer for advice on issues / problem situations related to studying or working at the UT. The ombudsperson initially has a listening ear, can offer advice and / or guidance and / or can refer you further if necessary.  The Ombuds Officer is independent and does not report to any authority in this position. You can contact the Ombuds Officer by making an appointment by mail: