The Master’s programme in Applied Physics at the University of Twente will expand your knowledge of physics, giving you deeper insight into a specific field of research of your choice. You will have the opportunity to tailor your programme to your individual interests. If you have a university of applied sciences (Dutch ‘hbo’) degree, you may be admitted to the MSc programme in Applied Physics after completing a six-month pre-Master’s programme.
What is a pre-Master's programme?
Our pre-Master's programme is a transition programme designed to provide you with the knowledge and skills you will need to successfully participate in our Master’s programme. Once you’ve completed the pre-Master's programme, you’ll be granted admission to the Master’s programme in Applied Physics.
Start date of the programme will be the 1st of September. After finishing the pre-Master's programme you can enter in September or February in the Master's programme.
Completing the pre-Master's programme will gain you 30 credits. It is a fulltime study programme of one semester with courses in mathematics and physics.
OVERVIEW OF THE COURSES:
- Calculus A
- Calculus B
- Linear algebra A
- Electricity and magnetism
- Introduction to Solid State Physics
The pre-Master's courses will be partly taught in Dutch and partly in English. The Master's programme is taught entirely in English.
Rules of the pre-Master's
The pre-Master’s is designed not only to address any deficiencies in your prior knowledge, but it is also an efficient way to find out whether studying at a research university in the field of Applied Physics is right for you. To this end, a couple of rules apply:
- We ask you to fulfil the requirements of the pre-Master’s programme within one year. Since 30 credits is equivalent to half a year of full-time study, this should not pose a problem.
- You must also earn sufficient marks with a maximum of one re-sit per course. This means you need to take the pre-Master’s seriously.
- You cannot expect to be successful in the pre-Master’s if you approach it half-heartedly: it is meant as a half-year, full-time programme of study. In practice almost all motivated students complete the programme in the allotted time.
If you will be eligible for admission to the pre-Master's programme in Applied Physics depends on your previous education. More information for hbo students on admission.
For general information requests please contact our Study Information Desk.
Read more about our pre-master's programmes.