Chemical Science & Engineering

After the bachelor's programme chemical engineering


With your broad Bachelor's degree in Chemical Science & Engineering you can go in many different directions. Most of our graduates move directly on to our two-year Master's programme Chemical Engineering and specialize in Molecular and Materials Engineering or Chemical and Process Engineering. You can also opt for a different Master's programme, such as Nanotechnology or Sustainable Energy Technology, or Water Technology. Every Master's programme ends with a research project, and after that you can call yourself either Master of Science or Engineer. Where you end up working after your Master's degree mostly depends on the degree and the specialization you choose.


With a Bachelor's degree in Chemical Science & Engineering you can immediately slot into any one of several Master's programmes at the University of Twente. For example:

Visit our website on Master's programmes for more information about the Master's degrees and specializations available at the University of Twente.


As an alternative to taking a Master's programme at the University of Twente, you can choose to do a Master's degree at another university in The Netherlands or abroad. During your Bachelor's programme, your study advisor can help you choose the best modules to prepare you for the Master's programme of your choice. Please do keep in mind that other universities may ask you to follow a pre-Master’s programme before accepting you into their Master's programme.


Once you complete your Master's in Chemical Engineering, your chances on the job market are very good. Elsevier's 'Best jobs' stated in 2016 that almost all graduates found jobs within six months of finishing.

More than half of our graduates opt for a career in business with companies like Shell, ExxonMobil, Unilever, AkzoNobel, DSM, DOW Chemicals, Friesland Campina or BTG, one of the University of Twente's many spin-off companies. Possible positions include:


As a designer you are employed by a company or engineering firm. You design  applications, installations or even whole plants.


As a researcher, you can carry out application-oriented research for the Research & Development department of a large company, or scientific research at universities or institutions, like TNO or ECN.

Business consultant

As a consultant, you advise companies from a technical and business perspective. If you’re interested in this area, you may want to choose a business-related minor during your Bachelor’s programme.  

Process technologist

In this position, you optimize business and production processes, taking into account changing legislation and environmental issues.


Do you enjoy explaining to others how chemistry works? If you do, you can choose the Master's programme that trains you to be a Chemistry teacher. Want to know more about this Master's programme? Take a look at the Master’s website for Science Education and Communication or read up on the experiences of a student.

PhD student

One third of our Master's graduates choose to continue studying and specialize. You can do this at a university under the supervision of a professor. After four years of independent research, you hand in your PhD thesis, and after a public defence, you receive the title of Doctor (dr.).

Production manager

As a production manager you are responsible for the manufacturing and quality of a product and offer guidance on this process. Often you do this in an environment with expensive installations.

Chat offline (info)