Integrity and ethics

Last edit: 18 Sep 2023

At the University of Twente we have an integrated perspective and approach on integrity policies. We have an integrated integrity programme called ‘House of Integrity’ to structure and organise various integrity policies, regulations and practices. Our House of Integrity approach covers scientific, social and business integrity.

On this page, we will give frequent updates, tips, important facts and other information to ensure both academic and support staff are acquainted with the applicable UT regulations. It is important to us that our campus is a safe living, studying and working environment for all.


You were a victim of or a witness to aggressive physical, verbal or psychological behaviour (including bullying) in the workplace or study place. In addition to actual pain, such as in the case of physical violence, aggressive verbal, physical and psychological behaviour at work can lead to psychological suffering and health issues such as anxiety, sleeping disorders, stomach pains and other psychosomatic complaints. It’s always best to talk to a professional soon after the incident occurs. See below for your options. It doesn’t matter which form of support you choose, what’s important is that you reach out and get help.

For Employees

  • Within your faculty/department

    Your first point of contact is your manager. If that does not work for you, the HR advisor for your faculty is the first alternative.

    You may also ask colleagues or supervisors in your immediate working environment for support. For colleagues and managers who have an employee/colleague who is a victim of or witness to violence or aggressive behaviour:

    • Pay attention to the employee(s) and their feelings, reach out to them and talk to them;
    • Do not ignore the problem but also avoid blowing it out of proportion by sharing your own bad experiences;
    • Don’t forget to check in after a while (several weeks).
  • General integrity contact

    Feel free to contact Admins for this mailbox: Carmen Landstra and Erwin Medendorp.

  • Confidential advisors

    Both university employees and staff without a UT contract are entitled to speak with a confidential advisor. Contacts for employees:

  • Working Conditions Consultation Hour

    HR managers, supervisors and all other employees who are confronted with victims and/or witnesses aggressive behaviour or violence, are requested to encourage these individuals to make an appointment with occupational health services provider de bedrijfspoli during the ‘Open Consultation Hour’ (call: +31 (0)24-3717799 or contact When making an appointment, please let us know you have had a bad experience at work and that you would like to talk to someone about it. Someone else can also make the appointment on your behalf. Occupational Health can refer you to a psychologist if necessary. The open consultation hour is also for employees without a University of Twente contract who are a victim of or a witness to aggressive behaviour on the University of Twente campus.

  • Complaints

    Pleae refer to the specific page about Confidential advisors & complaints. The scientific integrity page has specific information for faculty staff.

  • Ombuds officer

    The university’s Ombuds Officer serves both staff and students, providing advice on issues and difficult situations related to studying or working at the University of Twente. The Ombuds Officer’s primary role is to lend a sympathetic ear, and to provide advice, guidance and mediation services. If necessary, the Ombuds Officer can refer people to the appropriate authority, or the Officer may decide to investigate the matter personally. The Ombuds Officer is impartial and does not report to any other authority.

    On 15 October 2019, the University of Twente appointed Han Warmelink as Ombuds Officer for a period of six years.

    The position of Ombuds Officer complements the current confidential counsellors, complaints committee, student psychologists, study advisors and the student counsellor. The Ombuds Officer is an impartial and independent individual who is readily available to both university staff and students. People can approach the Ombuds Officer to ask questions on a wide range of topics or to report issues such as unacceptable behaviour, complaints, appointments, performance/assessments, workload, termination of employment, vocational rehabilitation and switching jobs.

    mr.dr. H.G. Warmelink (Han)
    mr.dr. H.G. Warmelink (Han)
    Ombuds Officer
  • Support/organisations outside UT

    General practitioner (GP)

    Make an appointment with a doctor as soon as possible (GP, hospital, GP out-of-hours service). Discuss the incident and ask to document injuries. Your GP can also refer you to a psychologist.


    Victim Support Netherlands helps victims of crimes, traffic accidents, emergencies and disasters. You can go there for emotional support, support during criminal proceedings and for help to get financial compensation. You can call, email, or chat with employees – anonymously, if you want to – and there is an online forum where you can talk to others with similar experiences. 


    In the event of sexual violence (assault or rape) you should make an appointment with the Sexual Assault Centre. For assistance, please call 0800 0188, available 24/7. A nurse will be there to support you when you arrive at the Sexual Assault Centre. You will not be asked to tell your story more often than strictly necessary. A team of doctors, nurses, police officers, psychologists, social workers and sexologists work together to provide the best care available. More information about the Sexual Assault Centre.

For students

Students can contact a confidential adviser. More information is available via the website of Student Affairs Coaching & Counselling. Students (prospective or former student/external candidate) can lodge a formal complaint, appeal or objection via the UT Complaints Desk.

My favorites

About My Favorites
Use the Bookmark this page button on Service Portal pages to add that page to the My Favorites section. To add web applications, use the star icon in the webapplication list. To add pages outside the Service Portal, use the Add custom bookmark button above. Add your favorite apps to your bookmarks by using the favorite button

Please wait a moment...