Plagiarism detection is available in Canvas assignments, Remindo and as a stand alone web application. SimCheck is the plagiarism detection software used at the University of Twente (this is the same product as 'Turnitin Similarity'). The supplier of SimCheck is the company Turnitin.
SimCheck compares the uploaded document to text in documents from the following locations:
- The public Internet
- Scientific publications via Crossref (a platform facilitating the direct links to scientific publications by use of Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs)).
- Publications from other sources
- The UT database. This consists of documents that have previously been submitted to SimCheck or our previous plagiarism detection tools (Ephorus and Urkund). In detail, these are documents that:
- were submitted for Canvas or Blackboard assignments in which plagiarism detection was activated.
- were submitted for Remindo tests in which plagiarism detection was activated.
- were uploaded in the stand alone Ephorus application.
Excluded from the search are documents that were only checked for plagiarism and have not been indexed in the database.
Requirements for file type and size:
- Supported file types included: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PostScript, PDF, HTML, RTF, OpenOffice (ODT), WordPerfect, and plain text. Zip files can be checked in the stand alone version of SimCheck, not in Canvas.
Note: Images within the supported file types can’t be checked for plagiarism.
- A file can be up to 200 MB and must contain at least 20 words of text
- The maximum paper length permitted is 800 pages.
If you want to use SimCheck as a stand alone web application, you can request a personal account. This is only allowed for UT employees. Phd students are not allowed to get an account to check their own work, they can only get a personal account for SimCheck if they need to perform plagiarism checks on work of students they supervise. If this is the case, your supervisor has to request an account for you.
If you have an account, you can access SimCheck at https://utwente.turnitin.com/
For an account requests or help, please contact:
UT employees except for ITC
For ITC employees