All PhD candidates are required to have attained a Master of Science degree or equivalent education. There are two ways to enter a PhD research programme at the University of Twente, each with it's own additional application requirements.
You can apply for a regular PhD position at our vacancies website. All relevant additional requirements are described in the respective vacancy descriptions. For international applicants some additional requirements apply.
In order to be considered for a PhD project under own funding or with a scholarship you need to contact the head of the research group you would like to join, indicating your qualities, intended research topic and motivation (at least the first three items on the list below).
It is essential that a full professor has indicated interest that he/she might become your PhD supervisor. In that case you can start to complete all documents listed below. You may ask the department of the prospective PhD supervisor for a letter of conditional admission (i.e. academic eligibility), that you may use to apply for a scholarship. If the final decision of the full professor (who is willing to be the prospective PhD supervisor) and the faculty dean is positive, the department will register you as a guest researcher and arrange your arrival (including your visa).
- Statement of interest and motivation
- Curriculum Vitae (listing the time of education/degrees and work experience and any relevant scientific publications)
- Outline of research proposal (2 pages)
- If English is not the native language language requirements (see above) apply.
- Two letters of recommendation from scientists who are familiar with the candidate’s academic work and can judge his or her potential as a PhD student
- Copies of exam results (both bachelor and master) and transcripts of certificates
- Optional: Copies of (up to 5) scientific works, including master's thesis
- Name of the provider to whom you have applied/will apply for funding or who has granted already
At this moment, the fees for a PhD position are determined per faculty. Therefore, we advise you to contact your prospective PhD supervisor.