FAQ Exchange Incoming


  • What are the exchange possibilities?

    You can choose from courses or a placement programme, more information is available on our website.

  • What is the difference between exchange courses and placement?

    Exchange students can choose two kinds of exchange programmes: exchange coursework or placement. Students who choose courses will follow courses at one of our faculties. Placement is when a student wants to do an internship, research or work on their thesis. However, students can also choose a combination of these programmes, more information is available on our website.

  • How do I apply for an exchange programme?

    It depends on which programme you want to do at the University of Twente, more information is available on our website.

  • Which exchange programmes does the University of Twente offers?

    There are different exchange programmes, more information is available on our website.

  • Do I meet the English language requirements?

    On our website, you can find more information regarding the English language requirements and exemptions.

  • Am I applying well before the application deadlines?

    There are two deadlines, one for the February intake and one for the September intake. Also, there are deadlines for students who want to do placement outside those intakes, more information is available on our website.

  • Which documents should I upload when applying for an exchange programme?

    Please visit this link for more information about the seven steps you need to take to apply for an exchange programme.

  • Is it possible to upload a document after the deadline?

    Unfortunately, it is not possible to upload documents after the deadline. More information on the deadlines is available on our website.

  • Do I need to prove my English proficiency?

    On our website, you can see if you are exempted from providing us with a proof of English proficiency.

  • What is the tuition fee for an exchange programme?

    We do not charge for an exchange programme. It is based on contracts between the UT and other universities.


  • I have completed my application, when will I hear from you?

    After you have completed your application you will receive an email with confirmation.

  • My application is incomplete. What do I need to do?

    If your application is incomplete you will receive an email. In this email, we will indicate which document we still required from you. If you have provided us with the necessary information then you can continue with your application.

  • I need an acceptance letter, where can I apply for it?

    Once your application is approved by the faculty you can download your acceptance letter from Mobility-Online (UT student exchange system).

  • I want more information about the courses?

    If you want specific information about the courses, please contact the departmental exchange coordinator of the faculty where you want to follow the courses.

  • How is a semester divided?

    There are two semesters. The first semester starts in September and the second semester starts in February. One semester is divided into two blocks, namely, block A and block B. 

  • What is a course unit code?

    Each course has a certain number and that number is called a course unit code. You can find this in the information on each course. 

  • What is the difference between a UT learning agreement and the Erasmus learning agreement?

    The last step in your application process is signing the UT learning agreement. This is done by yourself and your home university. This is to confirm that both the universities are agreeing to your exchange programme.

    While the Erasmus learning agreement which you will receive from your home university is necessary for receiving recognition for the activities that you will/have successfully completed. 

  • Do I have to choose 30 ECTS for one semester?

    We advise you to choose courses worth up to a maximum of 30 ECTS for one semester. This means 15 ECTS per block, more information is available on our website.

  • I have received my learning agreement, but I want to change my courses. What can I do?

    Please go to your workflow in Mobility-Online (UT student exchange system) and make the appropriate changes to your course list. Then indicate that you want to make some changes in your learning agreement in the step 'during mobility'. For any questions regarding this, please contact your departmental exchange coordinator.

  • Can I defer my nomination/application to the next intake?

    Yes, you can defer your nomination to the next intake. For this, you need to cancel your current nomination/application and contact your home university to nominate you for the next intake.

Preparation and arrival

  • When do I know I am enrolled?

    Once you have completed your application, you will be enrolled. You will get a confirmation e-mail from the registration department.

  • Is there an introduction day before the start of the semester?

    Yes, the University of Twente organises introduction days for the students before the start of the semester. It is important to be part of these days since you will get all the necessary information regarding studying at the University of Twente. For this, you need to sign up. You can only sign up once you are enrolled and you have received your login credentials for the ICT facilities. 

    More information regarding the introduction day is available on the website of the organisation.

  • How do I get my login credentials for the ICT facilities?

    Once you are enrolled within 24 or 48 hours you will receive an email with the login credentials for the ICT facilities and your University of Twente email address.

  • When and how can I register for courses?

    Once you have received your login credentials for the ICT facilities, you can log in to the 'Osiris student' portal to register for courses. For more information on how to register, please see the manual

  • When do the lectures start?

    To know when the semester or lectures start, please have a look at the academic calendar.

  • How can I access my lecture schedule?

    Once you have registered for the courses your schedule will (usually) be automatically added to your timetable. You can access your timetable via this link.

    For more information regarding the timetable, please visit the website.

  • When do I get my student card?

    Once you have your login credentials for the ICT facilities, please login in to 'Osiris student' and upload your photo. Once that is done, you will receive an email about where you can pick up your student card. 

    For more information on which steps you need to take to upload your photo, please visit the website.

during Mobility

  • How can I extend my exchange programme?

    To be able to extend your programme you need to have the approval of your home university and the departmental exchange coordinator at UT. Once you have the approval of both parties your enrolment will be extended.

  • How can I change my module(s) or course(s)?

    To be able to do this, please contact your departmental exchange coordinator at UT.


  • Where can I get my LA and other documents signed?

    You could get your Learning Agreement signed by the Institutional or Departmental Exchange Coordinator of the University of Twente by sending it through email. This also applies to other documents.

  • Do I need to end my residence permit?

    If your residence permit is still valid, please contact the visa department to terminate it.

  • Do I need to be de-registered at the municipality?

    If you are leaving the Netherlands (or if you are moving to another Dutch city) you must deregister at the GBA (Municipal Register of Enschede). To be deregistered from the municipal register, fill in a ‘declaration leaving Enschede’ and either hand it in at the Stadskantoor (Hengelosestraat 51) or send it to aangifteverhuizing@enschede.nl.

  • Do I need to close my Dutch bank account?

    Yes, you ned to close your Dutch bank account by informing your bank.

  • Do I need to cancel my health insurance?

    If Student Services (or International Office) applied for your ICS Complete on your behalf, please send an email to studentservices@utwente.nl and mention your departure date from The Netherlands. Be sure to file your insurance claims in time and keep your Dutch bank account open until the end of your stay.

    If you applied for your own insurance, please cancel it yourself. If your insurance also covers travels, it is wise to have the arrival date in your home country as your end date in your insurance.

  • Do I need to cancel my subscriptions?

    Yes, you need to cancel your subscriptions by informing them. 

  • Do I need to return my books?

    If you have still books which you have borrowed from the library, please return them.