See Exchange

English Language Requirements

Exchange students are required to prove they have sufficient command of the English language by providing one of the following documents:

Online English tests during COVID-19

Please note that the only online English language test that is accepted at UT is the TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition. Other online English language tests (i.e. IELTS Indicator test, Cambridge online test, etc.) will not be accepted(!)

  • Academic IELTS, minimum overall band score of 6.0
  • TOEFL, IBT (internet-based test) minimum score of 80
  • TOEFL, ITP (institutional testing program) minimum score of 543. Please note that the University of Twente does not accept the MyBest scores of the TOEFL programme.
  • TOEIC with a minimum overall score of at least 790 (containing both modules ‘Speaking and Writing’ and ‘Listening and Reading’)
  • Cambridge C2 Proficiency or C1 Advanced (A, B or C)
  • DAAD language test: GER B2, UNIcert II, ALTE Level 3.

Note: IELTS, TOEFL, TOEIC and DAAD test results must be less than two years old at the start of your exchange period.

Special conditions may apply to students in UT double degree programmes; please consult your home institution.

Exemption during COVID-19

ONLY FOR THE COMING SEMESTER: You had English as an exam subject during your secondary education. This exemption is depending on your country, please check the country list to make sure if you must do the additional English language test or not.

You are exempt from providing proof of English proficiency:

  • You are a national from Australia, Canada (English-speaking territories), Denmark, Finland, Ireland, New-Zealand, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, UK or USA.
  • In line with the Dutch Code of Conduct International Student Higher Education, exchange students only need to prove their English proficiency once. This means that if you have met the English language requirements before your enrolment in a full English taught programme at your current university, you do not need to provide test results. The level of English should be in line with the level referred to in the above mentioned English tests. In this case, please submit this exception form signed by the (departmental) Erasmus+ coordinator of your home university or, if you are going abroad outside Erasmus, by your mobility coordinator and/or nominator.