The Bachelor’s thesis is the culmination of the Bachelor’s programme. A Bachelor’s thesis is carried out in the form of a research project within a department. It is an opportunity to put the knowledge learned during the programme into practice. The Bachelor’s thesis is used to assess the student’s initiative and their ability to plan, report and present a project. The difficulty level of the thesis is described by the attainment targets of the programme and the modules followed up until that moment. Students work independently on a Bachelor’s thesis or Individual Assignment (IOO) under the guidance of a supervisor.
- The student is responsible for finding a project and supervisor.
- The supervisor has to take care of a complete committee that meets the requirements (below).
- Together they fill in the registration form (below) and collect signatures of the committee.
- Project time!
- Assessment and grading is based on your report, presentation and questions
Below you can find more info regarding registration, committee requirements, assessment and applying for the degree.
Here you can download the BSc thesis registration form.Please email this form to BOZ-EE-CES@utwente.nl and the module coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org) before you start your project. The committee requirements can be found below.
The official requirements are in article B7 of the OER Bsc EE:
- The chair shall appoint a supervisory committee consisting of at least three persons. The committee consists of the daily supervisor, an assistant professor or associate professor or full professor of the chosen research chair and a member not being a member of the research chair involved (sometimes called an external member).
- The supervisory committee shall include at least two examiners.
Student & supervisor together choose between the following formats:
- A report of 20-30 pages
- A paper of 4-8 pages, excluding appendices (e.g. for extra figures, designs, code, fitting procedures, etc)
- A variation of the above approved by the supervisor/committee
Please email your finished thesis to the members of your BSc committee. After getting a sufficient degree, you must upload your thesis in http://essay.utwente.nl (double-check confidentiality with your supervisor). For more information, see this link: http://essay.utwente.nl/upload.html. After you have uploaded your thesis, your supervisors and BOZ receive an automatically generated e-mail. Your thesis will be available on UT student Theses in three working days and will be linked to your file in the UT archive.
The EE bachelor presentations will be held on Friday July 5th 2019. There are 35 minutes for every student: 15 minute talks + 20 minutes for questions from committee and audience. There are 5 minutes between slots to set up the next presentation and audience leaving/entering the room. If possible, upload your presentation before your session, or check out the room how to connect your laptop to the system. The chair moderates talks and questions, and coordinates the timing.
The program of 5 July 2019 will be announced in June 2019.
After your presentation and questions, the committee will give you 3 grades, namely for:
- Scientific Quality
- Organization, planning, collaboration
In order to pass the module, you must have sufficient grades (≥5.5) for all three parts. Below you can download the assessment form including the criteria. BOZ supplies filled-in forms to all committees, personalized for every student.
As of 12 Nov 2018, the reflection part (a.k.a. the philosophy part) is no longer an official part of module 12 for students starting the BSc thesis after this date.
Students must apply for a Bachelor’s degree with the Office of Educational Affairs (BOZ). Students can apply in any month with the exception of July. In order to receive your BSc diploma you will need to submit the BSc exam application form to BOZ-EE-CES@utwente.nl:
The Office of Educational Affairs will assess whether all the conditions for obtaining the degree have been met. A collective Bachelor’s graduation ceremony takes place once per year in Sept/Oct. In 2019 the ceremony will take place on Friday 18 October 2019. A University-wide first year diploma ceremony is also held once per year in late September or early October.