WE'VE built A UT URL SHORTENER to create your own UT-branded short URL.
We receive many requests to shorten URLs to pages on utwente.nl, especially for posters and flyers but also for easy-to-remember links on the web. To make the shortening process quicker, less work, and more fun we now let UT members create their own short personalised UT URL, including facilities for advanced measuring.
What is a URL shortener?
A URL/link shortener is an easy-to-use tool that makes a long URL short. Basically, the shortener gives you a shortened URL and it "remembers" the full address. When other users use your shortened URL, they will be automatically redirected to the full address.
The UT Shortener
UT now offers the ut.onl shortener that generates a short url starting with ut.onl/xyz comparable to the worldwide used bit.ly service. Our service can only be used by UT members and only supports specific UT domains.
Find more details and tips for the ut.onl service on our UT service portal page about ut.onl.
For the introduction of the shortener, we set up a small competition, which you automatically enter when using the ut.onl URL shortener. Here's the deal:
- The main goal is to save as many characters as possible.
- The person who claims the longest destination URL and reduces it to a short version wins the competition! We count the number of characters saved.
- Example: utwente.nl/im-a-really-long-and-daunting-url-i-do-not-like (58 characters) is shortened to ut.onl/short (12 characters); 46 characters saved!
- The contest will run until 5 March 2023
- In case of a tie condition the timestamp for creating the short URL is used: first come first served :-)
- Insinuating URLs will be excluded and deleted (administrators will inform you by email)
- Only existing and supported websites can enter the contest (page creation date is older than challenge start date: 1 January 2023)
- 1st place: SEO copywriter training (45 minutes) offered by our marketing specialist.
- 2nd place: UT hoodie
For questions or comments, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.