For projects, joint research initiatives or collaboration the UT can provide a website that you update yourself.
By default, every UT websites uses the UT website templates as used by research departments, faculties, etc. For projects with other major partners involved, you can use the 'non-branding' template. The look and feel are the same, but the UT logo and 'UT style elements' are removed. There is space for your own logo and partner logos. There is a support desk available for any kind of help you need for these UT templates. Here everything (the full list as mentioned below) is already optimized for you, you only have to fill the content (photo/text/video).
Alternatively, the UT can provide some web space on a server for you. LISA calls this non-standard web hosting. In that case, you can design/build the website yourself without any support. Please note, you will need knowledge in the following area:
- setup/build a website that meets all browser, usability standards and search engine requirements and works well on mobile devices
- keep the website safe and protect it from malware
- knowledge of the EU accessibility guidelines for semi-governmental organisations
- knowledge of the GDPR regulations: data retention periods, privacy, etc
- knowledge of the Dutch telecommunication law (to be replaced by the e-privacy regulations): for example to meet cookie requirements and offer the option to turn off cookies of certain categories
- Technical search engine optimisation: technical requirements of websites for good findability
- Content search engine optimisation: content requirements for good findability
Utwente.nl vs own domain name
For higher ranking in Google utwente.nl sites work best and are used by default. If external parties are involved in your website project/cooperation, an own domain name like www.projectabc.nl is possible. This may also be an .org or .eu extension. Please do not request .com websites as these are for commercial activities/businesses and may give a wrong impression of what your website is about.
We suggest using the UT template (option 1A in the request form) or the one without UT logo (option 1D) for
- best findability
- quick set up and less time effort
- full support and advice
Request form and contact
Please use the website request form to submit your request or contact firstname.lastname@example.org (phone 5665) if you have any additional questions.