Within the framework of Turkey’s negotiation process for full membership to the EU, the Jean Monnet Scholarship Programme (JMSP) aims at contributing to Turkey’s administrative capacity building efforts through increasing the number of experts on fields related to the EU acquis. Therefore, the Scholarship Programme, differing from other graduate scholarships, provides support for academic studies only done in accordance with the mentioned purpose of the scholarship.
It is planned that 180 scholarships will be granted for the 2018-2019 academic year.
People who are currently:
- working in Turkey in public sector (including professional organizations having legal public personality, chambers, local administrations, development agencies etc.);
- working in Turkey in private sector (including NGOs, resident diplomatic missions etc.);
- working in Turkey in universities as academic or administrative staff
- senior undergraduate students or postgraduate (master or PhD) students in Turkey, and who would like to get specialised on the EU acquis may apply for a scholarship.
Scholars shall only conduct academic studies at graduate or research level at a university or similar institution in one of the EU member countries for periods of minimum 3 (three), maximum 12 (twelve) months. Academic studies longer than 12 months will not be supported even if the scholars are willing to fund the remaining period.
Scholarships should be used in the specific academic year they are awarded for. Postponement and/or extension of the scholarships are not possible.
For each academic year, the amount of the scholarship and the ceiling for the tuition fees are determined by the Jean Monnet Steering Committee with the aim of ensuring a minimum living standard to the scholars.
Amount of the scholarship covers the following;
- Tuition fees,
- Living expenses (food and drink, accommodation, communication, local transportation, cultural activities, etc.),
- Fixed amount for various allowances to be paid only once (to be used for the visa-passport, educational materials, travel, study visit, registration to local authorities, health and insurance, any tax liabilities and similar expenses).
The Jean Monnet Scholarship is calculated so as to cover the expenses of the scholars only. For this reason, no extra allowance is paid to the scholars who will be travelling with their families.
The scholars who could not successfully complete their academic studies or who could not fulfil their contractual obligations will be requested to pay back the whole or a partial amount of the scholarship they have been paid.
90% of the scholarship is paid upon the signature of the contracts while the remaining 10% is paid upon the completion of the programme and the closure process.
The Jean Monnet Scholarship Programme supports academic studies at graduate or research level at a university or similar institution in one of the EU member countries. Scholarships are granted exclusively for academic studies directly related to Turkey’s EU harmonisation process and the EU acquis.
Therefore, unlike other graduate scholarships, these scholarships will be awarded only to the studies on the acquis chapters listed below under Qualifying fields.
The applicants are required to choose only one of the EU acquis chapters given above and indicate it as their “field of study” in the Application Form. After the application process is completed, making changes in the field of study is not allowed. Academic studies related to the fields other than the ones given above will not be supported.
Field of study (EU Acquis Chapter) chosen for academic study and the academic programme (graduate or research) to be pursued should be in compliance with each other as well as with the ‘purpose of the scholarship’. Choosing the field of study and ensuring the compliance of the academic study to be pursued with the field of study chosen are solely under the responsibility of the applicants.
It is recommended to visit the web sites of the Ministry for EU Affairs, the Delegation of the European Union to Turkey and the European Commission for detailed information on the content of the above listed EU acquis chapters.