Two research groups at the University of Twente participate in the Operations Research specialisation
- Discrete Mathematics and Mathematical Programming is centred around four areas: Combinatorial Optimisation, Approximation & Online Algorithms, Mathematical Programming & Semi-Infinite Optimisation, Algorithmic Discrete Mathematics & Graph Theory, Game Theory, Algorithmic Game Theory, Mechanism Design
- Stochastic Operations Research focuses on stochastic processes and mathematics of operations research, to contribute to the development of mathematics in a multidisciplinary engineering environment, and contribute to a better understanding and functioning of our increasingly complex society.
Four research groups at the University of Twente participate in the Mathematical Systems Theory, Applied Analysis and Computational Science specialisation (SACS)
- Hybrid Systems focuses on models to describe dynamical systems in interaction with their environment. Research areas are: control of physical systems, hybrid systems theory, control under constraints, and signal analysis. The applications in which the group is involved are e.g. control of flows, and position estimation of aircrafts.
- Applied Analysis focuses on the thorough integration of mathematical modeling, applied analysis and numerical methods. Research areas are: wave phenomena, turbulence, aerodynamics, neuroscience, plankton dynamics.
- Mathematics of Computational Science focuses on multiscale problems in turbulence, in complex fluids and in biology. These have applications related to generation and storage of energy, monitoring and improving health and predicting human impact on the environment.
- Multiscale Modeling and Simulation focuses on mathematics of heterogeneous computational models for scientific and technological problems incorporating dynamics at a wide spectrum of length and time scales that characterise a specific application.
Research groups related to the Mathematics of Data Science specialisation
Research and education concerning this specialisation are concentrated in the Data Science research group. This group consists of mathematicians, computer scientists, and electrical engineers, while also intersecting with virtually all other Applied Mathematics research groups. At the start of the master’s, you will choose a research group to work in as a junior researcher. From this research group a mentor will be assigned to you to guide you through important decisions such as compiling the perfect set of courses and choosing the best type of internship.
Look also at the information about research within the Twente Graduate School