The UT offers a hybrid way of working, combining office and remote working. This page helps you to set up a health and durable home office workplace.
A healthy workplace
As UT, we find it important that you as our employee have a safe and healthy workplace at home, that enables you to work from the home in a sustainable way. In order to achieve this, it is important that your home office and the way you work from your home meets several requirements:
- make sure there is proper ventilation and a pleasant temperature;
- take breaks regularly and make sure you move around;
- make sure your working posture is good and that your workplace is equipped and adjusted in the right way.
Check your current workplace and working posture (take the CANS test) to see if you need further supplies to create a healthy workplace. In order to facilitate you as well as possible in this respect, we have put together a standard range of home office suppliesthat you can order through selfservice.utwente.nl. You can choose from a number of supplies that you can recognise by the label ‘HOME WORKPLACE’. All supplies in bold fonts can be ordered for your home office workplace:
- make sure you sit well and use an adjustable office chair;
- if possible, adjust the height of your desk; if your desktop is too high by 3 cm or more, use a footstool and adjust the height of your seat accordingly;
- your monitor must be an arm’s length away; the top of the screen must be right below eye level; you can use a monitor stand or a laptop stand to achieve this;
- use a separate keyboard and a separate mouse;
- if necessary, use a headset for video meetings in order to reduce the impact of background noise or if the quality of your microphone and/or speakers is insufficient;
- for online tuition, you can order a separate microphone and a good camera.
Please take notice that all supplies remain property of UT at all times: they will be put at your disposal on loan for the period in which you have been contracted by UT. If you need additional supplies, please contact your superior; for additional advice, contact your HSE co-ordinator.
How to order
If you have decided which supplies you need, you can order these through selfservice.utwente.nl on the OFI-number of your department. The home office supplies that you can order from our basic range can be identified by the label ‘HOME WORKPLACE’. The time of delivery may vary per item; for each item, an estimated time of delivery is therefore indicated.
After placing an order, your manager will have to approve it. You will receive a message informing you. Orders placed after February 1, 2021 will be sent to the workplace at the UT.
ICT workplace support
- LISA provides some support for setting up a home office.
- Microsoft Office 365 is available for UT employees and students. Microsoft Office 365 is a Cloud service that consists of several applications like Word, Excel and PowerPoint which can be used both in the Cloud as well as on your own device.
- Teams is the successor to Skype for Business. You can use Teams to invite your colleagues to chat, meet, call and work together. This can all be done in one place, wherever you are. LISA has listed all the information about Teams for you.
TIPS for working (from home) in a healthy and sustainble way
Of course, your home situation is slightly different from the occupational health and safety support that we normally offer at the UT. We ask you to be as flexible as possible and to follow the guidelines below as closely as possible in order to be able to work at home as healthy and sustainable as possible:
The risk of intensively working with a monitor
Many physical complaints, such as tired eyes, and wrist, arm, shoulder and neck pain, are associated with intensive monitor work. The longer someone works without a break, the more the complaints increase. RSI stands for Repetitive Strain Injury and is the term generally used for physical injury as a result of repetitive strain. RSI is collective term for chronic conditions affecting the neck, shoulders, elbows and/or wrists. For more information about RSI, go to www.utwente.nl/rsi.
FAQ for employees
FAQ for managers
Please contact HR Services for any further questions. Tel 053 489 8011.