WHY STUDY SUSTAINABLE ENERGY TECHNOLOGY? AND WHY AT THE UT?
Many universities offer (English-taught) programmes related to sustainability and energy technology. Ours is different. And our university is different from others, too. Check our SET programme’s distinctive features and also explore the unique benefits of studying at the UT.
A ‘4TU’ programme with a special focus on innovation and entrepreneurship
SET is a 4TU programme. Most of your programme will be in Twente, but you can also access the facilities and courses of Delft University of Technology and Eindhoven University of Technology.
The entrepreneurial profile of the University of Twente, in combination with its strong focus on research, provides a solid basis for SET. If you want technologies to get rolled out and working in the real world, the UT – already widely recognized for being a highly entrepreneurial university with a strong track record in application – is the place to start. On top of that, we also offer unique research specializations. In many of these areas, our researchers are among the world’s best. These areas include:
- the integration of solar energy into products;
- thermal and chemical conversion processes for biomass;
- computational fluid dynamics of wind turbines;
- Hydrogen as an energy carrier;
- water- and energy-related issues;
- smart grids;
- sustainable energy technology implementation;
- business development for sustainable energy and bio-based economies.
As one of tomorrow’s engineers and researchers, you will explore new forms of energy distribution, new energy market structures and smarter ways of satisfying the demands of our complex society.
- The University of Twente is among the world´s leading technical universities, which means you will be studying on the cutting edge of technological advancement (QS Stars awarded us five stars, placing our university on a par with such universities as Harvard and Yale). You will be surrounded by knowledge and new technology and throughout the SET programme, we will expose you to some of the world’s leading researchers in areas connecting energy and society.
- The UT has a high international profile (like the SET Master’s programme), meaning that on graduation your language and cross-cultural skills and experience will open doors for you into almost any international setting.
- At the UT you will gain highly valuable experience in working in teams and across disciplines through our hands-on, project-based education, in which you tackle real problems in small teams.
- We invest in your professional and personal growth and our student-driven learning concept means you get to carve out your own learning path, while our job is to mentor, monitor, coach and instruct you, helping to ensure that you reach your goals.
- We view ‘high tech’ as a force that will only reach its full potential if coupled to a distinctly ‘human touch’ – and that energy technologies will only contribute to a more sustainable future if committed, creative people with a broad view on societal change get on board.
- The UT offers a unique park-like campus with world-class studying and research facilities as well as an abundance of cultural and recreational opportunities – studying and living here is an experience in itself!
So how can you be certain the University of Twente’s Sustainable Energy Technology Master’s programme will give you what you’re looking for? Check the quotes we’ve come up with to outline a (very general!) student profile. The more these statements resonate with you, the more likely this Master’s is a good choice for you.
- ‘I have a technical Bachelor’s degree and I like technology and understand mathematics – but I want to broaden my view and prepare myself for a more multidisciplinary and enabling role in society.’
- ‘I’m definitely excited about renewable energy engineering and learning more about wind and solar energy, hydrogen or energy from biomass – but I’d like to tackle it in a societal and environmental context, not just from a technology perspective.’
- ‘I want to be part of a new generation of engineers equipped and eager to lead the renewable energy revolution!