Do you have a strong affinity with technology and systems and are you are inspired by large-scale, complex challenges? Are you a creative thinker willing and able to look beyond the obvious solutions? Are you eager to engage with what is happening in the world and to use your skills to make our planet more sustainable? Do you have a relevant Bachelor’s degree and sufficient command of the English language?
If so, the Master’s programme in Spatial Engineering at the University of Twente may be just up your street.
Applicants for the Master Spatial Engineering should have a bachelor’s degree or an equivalent qualification from a recognized university or accredited academic institution in a discipline related to the Master.
If you hold a Bachelor’s degree in one of the following fields you can be directly admissible:
- civil engineering
- geographical sciences
- earth sciences
- water and agriculture sciences
- geographical information systems.
Also students from broad engineering bachelors (such as Advanced Technology or Creative Technology), students from urban (spatial) planning and governance and (technical) University Colleges and students with a relevant Bachelor’s degree from a university of applied sciences are invited to put in their application.
To allow students to meet the final qualifications of the Spatial Engineering programme it is necessary that incoming students have knowledge at bachelors level of a research university in at least three of the following topics:
- Water, weather and climate (hydrology, meteorology)
- Earth sciences (geo-engineering, geology, earth surface processes)
- Civil engineering (infrastructure, building, hydraulics, hard interventions)
- Spatial planning and governance (urban and or rural environments)
- Spatial information and visualization (GIS, Remote Sensing)
- Software engineering
Your application will be judged on the basis of an individual educational curriculum/portfolio and motivation letter. The admission board will review your application and decide based on the bachelor’s education (technical focus) if you are directly admissible, admissible under conditions (premasters) or not admissible.
Not finished yet with your bachelor's degree?
If you have yet to complete your bachelor’s programme, you can still apply for admission to the master’s Spatial Engineering. You may be granted a conditional acceptance based on your transcripts, detailed curriculum information, relevant research and expected graduation date. However, you must submit your bachelor’s degree before you can start the master’s programme.
Proficiency in the English language is a prerequisite.
Only internationally recognized test results are accepted and IELTS and TOEFL certificates older than two years are not considered for admission
- Academic IELTS, overall band score of at least 6.5
- TOEFL Internet-based Test (iBT) with a score of at least 90
- Cambridge CAE-C (CPE)
Please note: the requirements when applying for fellowships may vary according to the regulations of the fellowship provider.
You are exempted from the English language requirements if:
- You are a native speaker of English from Australia, Canada (English speaking part), Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States of America;
- You have obtained a relevant bachelor’s degree from an accredited academic institution in the Netherlands;
- You have obtained a three-year bachelor’s degree in one of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States of America.
Please note that if you are from an English-speaking country in Africa, you will have to take one of the approved university English tests.
Specific requirements for Chinese nationals
Nationals of the People’s Republic of China need to obtain a NUFFIC certificate as a validation of their qualifications, in addition to their English language test score documents. The University of Twente needs your NUFFIC certificate (formally known as ‘NESO certificate’) for your visa application (www.nesochina.com).
Expected to start in 2018
Spatial Engineering is a new master’s programme. The University of Twente is still in the process of having the programme officially accredited and registered. We expect to have the programme officially accredited and registered in early 2018!
If you would like to be kept informed of when more information is available and registration to this programme is open we invite you to leave your name and email and we will keep you informed.