Full Double degree (120 EC)
The Master's programme ‘Mechanical Engineering & Aeronautics’ is a double degree programme. It is a cooperation between the University of Twente and Instituto Tecnológico de Aeronáutica (ITA). Completing the Master's programme (120 EC) will result in two Master's degrees:
- Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering from UT
- Master of Science in Aeronautics and Mechanical Engineering from ITA
The duration of this Master's programme is two years, which entails a total of four semesters. Students are expected to stay two semesters at each university.
Instituto Tecnológico de Aeronáutica (ITA)
This programme gives Mechanical Engineering students from Twente the opportunity to take Master’s degree courses in Brazil and to graduate in the field of Aeronautics at companies like Embraer, one of the largest aircraft manufacturers in the world.
Instituto Technológica the Aeronáutica (ITA) was founded by the Brazilian Air Force. It is a leading institute of higher education in Brazil. ITA has a strong connection with the aviation industry, and it receives about 8000 applications from new students each year. Following a demanding entrance examination, only 140 of these candidates are admitted. ITA is located in São José dos Campos, between São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, where Embraer’s head office and assembly line are also situated. Embraer is one of the largest employers of ITA graduates, and a substantial part of the institute’s research work is commissioned by that company.
- If you have specific questions on the content of the programme please contact the double degree coordinator: Prof.dr.ir. C.H.Venner
- For questions on eligibility please contact the MSc ME programme coordinator: A.F. Heutink, BSc
- For questions regarding international issues, such as scholarships, you can contact the Exchange Coordinator of the ET faculty
The number of students who can opt for the double degree is limited. Therefore, a selection will be made. In order to be admitted to the double degree programme, the following requirements have to be fulfilled before you can go to ITA:
- Completed a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering or related
- Eligible for admission or admitted to the Master of Science degree programme Mechanical Engineering (UT)
- Following the Aeronautics or High-Tech Systems and Materials specialization
- Follow/have followed the minor Aeronautical Engineering & Management containing both:
- HTHT-minor Aerospace Management & Operations
- HTHT-minor Aircraft Engineering
- Sufficient English language skills (the programme is taught entirely in English)
- Obtain a minimum of 60 EC in the first year of the ME master programme
- Basic knowledge of Portuguese is a pre.
The double degree programme is available for a maximum of 5 students per academic year. Your application should include the following documents:
- A motivation letter
- Resumé (c.v.)
- An overview of the 3 courses (of 9 ITA-credits) you want to follow
- A transcript of records (Tor) of the courses you have done including Grade Point Average
You should send your application to the MSc ME programme coordinator: A.F. Heutink, BSc
Students from UT can start in August or February at ITA. Students who want to be admitted must have obtained a minimum of 50% of the nominal study load on the reference date of the programme.
Fall semester (August)
Spring semester (February)
1st of January
1st of September
14th of February
14th of September
The double degree programme is two years, which consists of four semesters. Students pursuing the ITA-UT double degree must fulfil the programme requirements of both institutions. The standard period of study is four semesters, which corresponds to 120 EC at the UT, consisting of two semesters of course work (60 EC) at the UT, 9 ITA credits of course work and 40 EC on a master thesis. Within the double degree, two consecutive semesters are taken at the host institution.
In the first year of the programme, UT students must achieve a total of 60 EC according to the regular curriculum of the UT Mechanical Engineering programme.
In the second year, students will participate in courses and research at ITA. Below you will find an overview of the curriculum.
9 ITA credits
Three courses, taught in English, fitting to the selected specialization of Aerospace Engineering or Aircraft Maintenance. Click here for the course list.
Aside from the 3 required courses, students are expected to spend 8-9 months (40 EC equivalency) on a research assignment. The student will have a daily supervisor at ITA, and a co-supervisor at UT. The research project may take place in conjunction with other organizations.
Tuition fee and programme costs
If you choose a double degree, you need to stay enrolled at the UT when you are following courses (including exams and working on your master thesis). If you do not pay your tuition fee, you are not entitled to use the services of the UT.