Types of enrolment
Use library/ e-mail
Government grants (studiefinanciering)
Entitled to vote and eligible for elections
Enrolment as a part time student is only possible for some Master’s programmes:
The faculty requires a statement of why you are registering as an extraneus - a standard form for this can be sent to you on request by Student Services. As an extraneus it is not possible to terminate the enrolment and/or to get a refund of part of the tuition fees.
When to enrol?
The enrolment is based on the Higher Education and Research Act (WHW) and should be adjusted before 1 September. As soon as we received your request for enrolment we will check if you meet all the requirements for enrolment.
If you want to be enrolled by 1 September, please be sure you finish all the enrolment obligations on time!
What to do to be enrolled?
You will be enrolled when you have met the following requirements:
- You are admitted
- The required (certified) documents are handed
- Tuition fees have been paid by single transfer or (digital) authorisation
The certificate of enrolment can be downloaded through OSIRIS Student. You are required to show the certificate of enrolment during the exams when prompted.
Cancellation of enrolment
You can withdraw or cancel your enrolment free of charge, before 1 September. You can arrange this in Studielink no later than 31 August 2023. From 1 September 2023, it is not possible to de-enrol without costs. Check the website for more information on the application bachelor's programme and application (pre-)master’s programme.
Pre-master's students will be enrolled in a bachelor’s programme. View the Master’s programme and belonging Bachelor’s programme on the UT website. Instead of paying tuition fees, you will pay an amount per EC (study credit). This applies to both Dutch students and international students. The amount for a pre-master's is stated on our webpage about tuition fees.
What does this mean for you?
- After application and admission, the programme determines the total number of ECs for your pre-master's. Instead of paying tuition fees, you will pay an amount, in one go and in advance, for your entire pre-master's.
- The amount you have to pay will be calculated based on the number of ECs for your pre-master's.
- The amount you have to pay does not depend on the number of months that you are enrolled.
- The final duration of your pre-master's is twice the nominal duration of your pre-master's and you are entitled to two examination opportunities.
- If you stop your pre-master's you can’t come back to complete this pre-master's.
- You have no right to a refund (repayment of part of the amount paid) in case you terminate your enrolment prematurely.
- When you enrol for a pre-master's, you may only attend and complete pre-master's subjects agreed for this programme.
- You will be enrolled as a student and your details will be passed on to DUO (the Education Executive Agency). If you think you have a right to a Dutch student grant, you should contact DUO.
Simultaneously enrolment for a pre-master's and a master’s programme
If you enrol for a pre-master's in addition to registering as a full-time student for a master’s programme, you will be exempt from payment for the pre-master's amount. You only owe the tuition fees applicable for the master’s programme. If you de-enrol for this master’s programme in Studielink, then as of the first day of the month following the termination of your enrolment, you are enrolled only as a pre-master's student. From that moment on, instead of paying tuition fees, you owe the amount for the pending number of ECs. Contact your study advisor and ask to send the admission form mentioning the pending number of ECs to the Student Services registration.
Passed your pre-master's and starting the master's
Once you have completed your pre-master's, you are admitted to the corresponding master's. Your enrolment switches from a pre-master's enrolment with a payment per EC to a master's enrolment with payment of tuition fees. Pre-master's to master's per 1 September or 1 February (intake moments), in Studielink you have to apply for enrolment for the master’s programme and arrange the payment of your tuition fees.
Transfer within UT
If you decide, in the course of the academic year, to transfer to another programme within the University of Twente or want to add a second programme, you can use the form ‘enrolment request for a second programme at the University of Twente’. Please hand in the original form at the desk of the Student Services.
Transfer to another programme, hbo or another university
If you decide, in the course of the academic year, to transfer to the hbo (university of applied sciences) or another university in the Netherlands, you can get a certificate stating you paid your tuition fees. If you go to the institute concerned with this certificate you do not need to pay tuition fees again (if the tuition fees are equal or less). In this case, the enrolment at UT continues until the end of the academic year. Contact Student Services if you want to apply for the certificate.