Types of enrolment

Two kinds of enrolment exist:

  • student (full time/part time/dual)
  • extraneus


Full time student

Part time student


Attend classes




Do exams




Use library/ e-mail




Study guidance




Government grants (studiefinanciering)




Entitled to vote and eligible for elections




Please note: Enrolment as a part time student is only possible for some Master’s programmes:

Please note: Enrolment as extraneus: the faculty requires a statement why you are registering as an extraneus - a standard form for this can be sent to you on request by Student Services

  • As an extraneus it is not possible to terminate the enrolment and/or to get a refund of part of the tuition fees.

When to enrol

The enrolment is based on the Higher Education and Research Act (WHW) and should be adjusted before 1 September. As soon as we received your request for enrolment we will check if you meet all the requirements for enrolment.

What to do to be enrolled?

You will be enrolled when you have met the following requirements:

  • You are admitted.
  • The required (certified) documents are handed.
  • Tuition fees have been paid by single transfer or (digital) authorisation.

If you want to be enrolled by 1 September please be sure you finish all the enrolment obligations on time!

When will I be enrolled?

You are enrolled if the status in Studielink (under My study programmes) has changed from <Application submitted> to <Enrolled> and you have received an email confirmation of enrolment. Please keep an eye on your Studielink account to check if your enrolment has been finalized. Keep in mind that there is a processing time.

Certificate of enrolment

The certificate of enrolment can be downloaded through Osiris Student. You are required to show the certificate of enrolment during the exams when prompted.

Cancelation of enrolment

You can withdraw or cancel your enrolment free of charge, before 1 September. You can arrange this in Studielink no later than 31 August 2021 . From 1 September 2021 it is not possible to de-enrol without costs.

Check the website for more information on application bachelor programme and application (pre-)Master’s programme.

Pre-master enrolment

Pre-Master students will be enrolled in a Bachelor’s programmeReview Master’s programme and belonging Bachelor’s programme.

Instead of paying tuition fees you will pay an amount per EC (study credit). This applies to both Dutch students and international students. The amount for a Pre-Master are stated on our webpage about tuition fees.

What does this mean for you?

  • After application and admission, the programme determines the total number of ECs for your pre-Master. Instead of paying tuition fees, you will pay an amount, in one go and in advance, for your entire pre-Master.
  • The amount you have to pay will be calculated based on the number of ECs for your pre-Master.
  • The amount you have to pay does not depend on the number of months that you are enrolled.
  • The final duration of your pre-Master is twice the nominal duration of your pre-Master and you are entitled to two examination opportunities.
  • If you stop your pre-Master you can’t come back to complete this pre-Master.
  • You have no right to a refund (repayment of part of the amount paid) in case that you terminate your enrolment prematurely.
  • When you enrol for a pre-Master, you may only attend and complete pre-Master subjects agreed for this programme.
  • You will be enrolled as a student and your details will be passed on to DUO (the Education Executive Agency). If you think you have a right to a Dutch student grant, you should contact DUO.

Simultaneously enrolment for a pre-Master and a Master’s programme

If you enrol for a pre-Master in addition to registering as a fulltime student for a Master’s programme, you will be exempt from payment for the pre-Master amount. You only owe the tuition fees applicable for the Master’s programme.

If you de-enrol for this Master’s programme in Studielink, then as of the first day of the month following the termination of your enrolment, you are enrolled only as a pre-Master student. From that moment on, instead of paying tuition fees, you owe the amount for the pending number of EC’s. Contact your study advisor and ask to send the admission form mentioning the pending number of EC’s to the Student Services registration.

Passed your pre-Master and starting the Master

Once you have completed your pre-Master, you are admitted to the corresponding Master. Your enrolment switches from a pre-Master enrolment with a payment per EC to a Master enrolment with payment of tuition fees.

Pre-Master to Master per 1 September or 1 February (intake moments), in Studielink you have to apply for enrolment for the Master’s programme and arrange the payment of your tuition fees.

Transfer within the University of Twente

If you decide, in the course of the academic year, to transfer to another programme within the University of Twente or want to add a second programme, you can use the form ‘enrolment request for a second programme at the University of Twente’.

Please hand in the original form at the desk of the Student Services

Transfer to another programme, hbo or other university:

If you decide, in the course of the academic year, to transfer to the hbo or another university in the Netherlands, you can get a certificate stating you paid your tuition fees.

If you go to the institute concerned with this certificate you do not need to pay tuition fees again (if the tuition fees are equal or less). In this case the enrolment at the UT continues until the end of the academic year. Contact the Student Services if you want to apply for the certificate.