Half of the third year consists of elective space, while the other half is devoted to Module 11 and your graduation assignment.
In your elective space, you have several options:
- You can use this half year to broaden or deepen your knowledge with subjects that appeal to you.
- You can choose to expand your knowledge in a completely different field by following courses belonging to another Bachelor's programme. Some examples: We Create Identity, Smart Environments, Professional Learning in Organizations, Psychology of Safety, or Public Management.
- You can also use your elective space to do an internship at an external organization or to study abroad.
In this module you will tackle a challenge of global proportions, making maximum use of all the knowledge, skills and tools you have gained throughout the programme. Communication is a common thread running through almost all current world issues. In this module, we will challenge you to put a stop to damaging developments and to stimulate positive initiatives. In your team project, you can tackle themes such as democracy, social injustice, climate change, or ‘The Internet of Things’.
You will finish the Communication Science programme with a Bachelor’s thesis, or graduation assignment. This means carrying out independent research on a practical and relevant subject. You will conduct literature research and collect empirical data, using the outcomes to develop practical recommendations. You will then write a research report and present the results during a symposium.
EXAMPLES OF GRADUATION PROJECTS
A few examples of graduation research topics:
- Online shops: in an online shop, will incorporating a maximum number of elements from a physical shop help to give consumers the feeling they are having a ‘real’ shopping experience?
- News apps: why do some news notifications prompt receivers to immediately read the entire news article on their smart phones, while other notifications do not?
- Electric vehicles: why are electric cars not yet being used by everyone? Which factors are causing people to resist electric driving?Could it be that subconsciously we struggle to let go of driving on fossil fuel, even though we know it is more polluting?
- Healthcare: how can we use technology to improve healthcare? And, more specifically, what are the requirements for a web portal that facilitates communication between therapists and their clients?
Interested in what the possibilities are after finishing your Bachelor’s?