Study orientation

  • Can I drop by sometime?

    In March and November the University of Twente organizes its Bachelor’s Open Days. On these occasions staff and students are on hand to answer all your questions. Another good option would be to participate in the student for a day programme with one of our current students.

  • What is the difference between a university and a university of applied science?

    A four-year programme at university of applied sciences leads to a Bachelor’s or professional studies degree and is an applied, vocational programme with few or no opportunities to engage in fundamental research. The emphasis on research is to be found in university programmes, where you will often be taught by researchers. This does not mean that everyone at a university is trained for a career in research – a university programme can also train you to become a designer, organizer or entrepreneur – but academic knowledge and research skills will always be part of your basic education. University Bachelor’s programmes take three years to complete and most Bachelor’s graduates opt to continue their studies for one or two more years in order to specialize and obtain a Master’s degree. The University of Twente is a university and not a university of applied sciences.

  • Does the University of Twente offer any additional programmes for excellent students?

    The University of Twente offers a variety of honours programmes for excellent students. The website has more information about the different programmes. 

  • What is the Twente Educational Model, TEM?

    The Twente Educational Model is all about integrating project-led education and other teaching methods in thematic full-time study units or modules. Find out more about the Twente Educational Model.

  • Are all Bachelor of Science programmes taught in English?

    No, at the University of Twente, 11 of our 20 Bachelor of Science programmes are taught in English.


  • What are the admission requirements? Will I be admitted?

    To find out more about the admission requirements, please read our admissions page.

  • Do I have to learn Dutch?

    To learn a little Dutch could certainly be useful while you are living in the Netherlands. There are a number of ways to master the language during your stay here. The international students website has information about learning Dutch during your time in Enschede.

  • What is matching?

    The matching procedure is usually intended for students who gain admission to the university directly from Dutch secondary education. It helps them become better acquainted with the Bachelor’s programme they want to take and enables them to make sure that it is the right option for them. Find out more on our matching web page.

  • What are the language requirements for an English-taught Bachelor of Science programme?

    International students applying for an English-taught Bachelor’s programme require official proof of their English language proficiency. See our website for the specific requirements/documents. Please note that you need a higher level of English proficiency to take our University College Twente programme. More information can be found on the website of our University College Twente.

  • What are the language requirements for a Dutch-taught Bachelor of Science programme?

    International students applying for a Dutch-taught Bachelor programme require official proof of their Dutch language proficiency. More information can be found on the admission requirements page. The most straightforward option for non-native speakers is to take a central examination administered by DUO (the Education Executive Agency of the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science).

  • Do I have the option to switch from a Bachelor’s programme in another country/institution?

    Yes, it is possible to switch to the University of Twente from another institution in the Netherlands or abroad, as long as you meet the admission requirements. This does not mean that all the courses you have already passed will automatically count towards your degree at the University of Twente. Once you have applied to the Bachelor’s programme of your choice, it will be up to the programme committee to decide if you can obtain exemptions.

Enrolment & Matching

  • What are the deadlines for enrolment? What about the necessary documents and procedures? 

    The Student Services website explains the admission and registration procedure in detail.

  • Is matching mandatory?

    The University of Twente believes it is important that you choose a programme that suits you, so that you can successfully complete your studies. We therefore organize orientation and matching activities. The matching procedure is mandatory for students who have completed their previous education at a Dutch secondary school. Some Bachelor of Science programmes require prospective international students with an equivalent school to take part in the matching procedure. For example:

    Please look at the admission and enrolment section of the website of the specific Bachelor of Science programme you would like to take.


  •  Where can I find information about housing?

    The University of Twente (UT) is the linking pin between local housing providers and admitted international UT students, staff-members and guests: we coordinate supply and demand. Check our housing website for detailed information. 


  • What are the tuition fees for a Bachelor of Science programme?

    Full details on tuition fees and the relevant regulations can be found on our website.

  • Are there any scholarships which I could apply for?

    The University of Twente does not offer any scholarships for Bachelor’s programmes, except for the English-taught Bachelor's programmes. Students can apply for The Holland Scholarship, a scholarship for excellent students from non-EU/EEA countries, applying for a Bachelor or Master programme at the University of Twente. Students for University college Twente (ATLAS) can also apply for the ATLAS Scholarship Fund.

  • What is the cost of living in Enschede?

    The Student Services website explains the possibilities in detail. 


  • Will I need a laptop?

    You will be expected to bring your own laptop to many courses and practicals. You will need a laptop to work on your projects with your fellow students or to work on some calculations during practical assignments. The University of Twente offers computers for sale through the Notebook Service Centre. Naturally, you may also provide your own laptop.

  • How is student support organized?

    We are committed to providing solid academic support during your Bachelor’s programme. During the first year you will have at least two meetings with one of our study advisors, who can help you with any problems you might have..

  • How can I get to know other students?

    It’s easy to get to know your fellow students at UT, for example by joining one of the many student associations. There are even a number of different international student associations.  

  • How can I find accommodation in Enschede?

    Enschede is a student city, offering a range of student housing both on and off the UT campus. In general, student accommodation is relatively easy to find, but with lots of students looking for a place to live at the start of term, we recommend that you start looking early. If you are an international student, the University of Twente’s International Office can help you find furnished accommodation. Check out our housing website for futher details. 

Chat offline (info)
To use this this functionality you first need to:
Accept cookies