AT THE UNIVERSITY OF TWENTE, WE ARE PIONEERS IN combining TECHNOLOGY, SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING WITH SOCIAL SCIENCES TO IMPACT THE WORLD AROUND US. OUR DRIVING FORCE AS STUDENTS, SCIENTISTS AND EDUCATORS IS A DEEP SENSE OF CONNECTION WITH PEOPLE WHO SHARE A CURIOUS, ENTREPRENEURIAL SPIRIT.
All of our research and education is aimed at making a difference in today’s society, while setting up the next generation for the future. How can we contribute to the development of a digital, fair, and sustainable society between now and 2030? In this pursuit, the entrepreneurial mindset and global awareness of our many talented scientists, educators and students lead us to move beyond differences, disciplines, borders. The cross-disciplinary way of working that characterizes our university opens up unexpected possibilities - especially in combination with creativity and excellence in scientific disciplines. Our distinctive educational model, engineering approach and open culture generate new ideas, new energy, new ways forward.
Please note, this Facts & Figures page is updated annually. Last update: June 2021
The University of Twente is a multicultural community of talented, ambitious people that offers students, scientists and educators from around the world the best possible conditions:
- An innovative and vibrant campus with world-class facilities for crossing boundaries and solving complex problems – including state-of-the-art facilities, such as our world-renowned NanoLab, our newly formed Designlab and a new TechMed Centre.
- An engineering approach to societal challenges, merging fundamental technological and social science research with systematic solution designing.
- Core technologies, among the world’s best, in fields such as nanotechnology and biomedical engineering, IT, robotics and geo-information science.
- Highly personal education, applying student-driven learning and project-based teamwork to foster synergy, (self-)discovery and out of the box problem-solving.
- An outstanding track record in value creation, starting up and spinning off new businesses (with some 1,000 successful ventures to date) and giving shape to new expressions of social and industrial engagement.
This digital brochure aims to give an overview of the University of Twente's facts and figures: it provides key figures and facts in the field of education, research, the way we work together with our partners, our organization and our unique campus facilities. All figures and facts are up to date until 31 December 2020, unless stated otherwise.
With 85 nationalities present at the University of Twente, we provide education for over 12,000 students from all over the world. Our Twente Educational Model is a unique concept, fully fitted for the needs of today's students. Learn more.
More than 1000 researchers work on a daily basis on relevant societal challenges in a variety of disciplines. They deliver over 2,800 publications a year, providing valuable input for scientific excellence and laying the foundations for new knowledge-based spin-offs. Learn more.
We are based in the Netherlands, but our agenda is global. We work with partners, both public and private, from all over the world on scientific breakthroughs and research applications that make a difference in society. We encourage staff and students to connect with bright minds all over the world, as synergy is the result of excellent and sometimes surprising combinations. Learn more.
The University of Twente is a research university where technical developments and their importance to individuals and society are at the forefront. The education (Bachelor’s and Master’s programmes) and research are organised within our five faculties: Learn more about our organization.
The University of Twente has an innovative and vibrant campus with world-class facilities for crossing boundaries and solving complex problems – including state-of-the-art facilities, such as our world-renowned NanoLab, our newly formed Designlab and a new TechMed Centre opened in 2019. Learn more.
For a current overview of all UT researchers who have won a prize or who have been awarded a grant please visit the Awards & grants page.