See Home

Practical Matters

Preparing for your exchange

Practical matters come into play once you know what you want to do, where you want to go and as soon as you have gathered the financial means to successfully complete your international experience. In this section we provide information about practical preparation of your stay abroad.

Registration and travel insurance

Mandatory registration of your mobility & free travel insurance

Chubb Travel Smart app

Travel Smart is an app designed to help you stay one step ahead while on the move, providing pre-travel advice and alerts directly to your phone. It also enables the UT to locate you in case of calamities, if you have been involved in an accident or have been taken ill suddenly anywhere in the world.
Read the download instructions here.

24/7 Buitenlandse Zaken Contact Center  (Dutch only)

Read the travel advice for your destination 

Download the "Reisapp" of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Buitenlandse Zaken). Add your destination to your favourites in order to receive push notifications if the safety situations changes for that country. With the app you also have all contact detains of the Ministry within reach, plus information on what to do in case of emergency, such as being admitted to hospital, losing your passport, etc.

Follow the Ministry of Foreign Affairs via Twitter: @24/7BZ.

Information Service Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Buitenlandse Zaken) (Dutch only)

Register at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Buitenlandse Zaken) to be updated on the safety situation abroad and, if you wish, to be registered at the embassy in your destination country.

Information Service Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Buitenlandse Zaken) (English)

Netherlands worldwide. All you need to know about living, working, travelling and doing business abroad.

Health Insurance

When you travel abroad as a Dutch student, it is important to check with your own health insurance to see if you are covered abroad in case of medical emergencies.

Visa / Working permit / Passport / Drivers licence

See: Visa / Working permit / Passport / Drivers licence

Booking your flight

See: Booking your flight 

Compensation for your OV-chipcard  (Dutch only)

See: Compensation for your OV-chipcard and website DUO 

Language and Culture

See: Language and Culture


For many countries outside of Europe you have to be vaccinated or protected against particular diseases. Not all vaccinations are mandatory; some are simply recommended. Upon vaccination you will receive a vaccination certificate. You might be asked to show this to the customs officer upon entering your host country.

For (information about) vaccinations please contact the campus doctor or the Travel Health Clinic.

Paying abroad

Please make sure you have enough financial means to cover for unexpected situations (e.g. delays) during your travels.

Also make sure you bring multiple types of payment whilst traveling, such as cash, bank cards, credit cards. Add the phone number of your bank to your phone so you can disable your cards immediately in case of loss or theft.

Check if your bank card allows withdrawls outside Europe (if applicable). If you travel outside Europe, please make sure you also check with your phone provider to find out the costs for calling and use of internet outside Europe.


The International Student Identity Card (ISIC) is an internationally accepted card for all students. The ISIC card is proof of your student status, and gives over 40,000 discounts worldwide for international travel, restaurants, museums, international phonecalls, etc. Use the ISIC Discount Finder to find out what discounts you can receive with the ISIC card. The ISIC is accepted in over 100 countries.