See Visa

Visa & Residence Permit: more information

On this page you find more background information on the visa regulations as well as instructions on what to do in various situations. If you cannot find the information you need, please have a look at our Frequently Asked Questions.

Do I need an entry visa and/or residence permit?


Entry Visa

Residence Permit

EEA, Switzerland




Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, South Korea or USA


Yes, for stays of 90 days or more

All others

Yes, for stays of 90 days or more

Yes, for stays of 90 days or more

"I already have a residence permit for the Netherlands or another European country"

If you already have a Dutch or EEA residence permit, you still need to go through the process. The reason is that we need to verify your permit and make the necessary arrangements for you accordingly. This also applies if you are transferring from another institution within the Netherlands (e.g. another Dutch university or company) to the University of Twente. Keep in mind that transferring students need to provide the same documents as other students applying for an entry visa and/or residence permit. When all necessary documents have been received, the University of Twente will submit your application to the IND.

Residence Permit When Changing Study Programme

When changing or switching study programmes within the University of Twente after arrival will not have consequences for your IND residence permit. However, please inform Student Services about your change of study programme. Please consider the MoMi law when thinking about switching programmes: it is only possible if you have achieved satisfactory academic progress in your current program.

Residence Permit & Study Progress

The Dutch government passed a migration law: the Modern Migration Policy Act (MoMi). This law allows faster and easier immigration procedures for highly-skilled students. It requires all non-EEA students with a residence permit for study purposes at the University of Twente (UT) to achieve satisfactory academic progress. This means that you must obtain at least 50% of the EC that you can acquire during an academic year in order to keep your residence permit for the next academic year. More information can be found on the Student Counselling Service website.

Extending Your Residence Permit
  • To extend your residence permit, please contact your faculty contact person who will inform the Student Administration Office. You will receive an email with steps to take.    
  • The extension of residence permits of ITC students will be handled and monitored by ITC Student Affairs.
  • The fee for the extension of your residence permit is €171,-
Change of address

It is a prerequisite to keep your address up to date in order for you to maintain your residence permit, as the Dutch Immigration Office (IND) uses the Municipal Personal Records Database to check your details of residence. Hence, it is of utmost importance for you to notify the municipality of your change of address as soon as possible. Please do this by sending an email to (only if you move within the municipality of Enschede). Make sure you mention your full name, old address and new address.

What to do when you lost your residence permit

If your residence permit is stolen or lost, please report this to the local police as soon as possible. Visit the police station to have your statement recorded, then visit Student Services to arrange a replacement document. Bring the following documents: (1) copy of police statement of theft, (2) copy of passport, (3) official proof of registration into Municipal Records Database (‘uittreksel bevolkingsregister’), and (4) filled in and signed application for Replacement.