Entry visa

Do I need an entry visa and/or residence permit?

EU/EEA, Switzerland

  • Entry visa: no
  • Residence permit: no

Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, South Korea or USA

  • Entry visa: no
  • Residence permit: yes, for stays of 90 days or more

All others

  • Entry visa: yes
  • Residence permit: yes, for stays of 90 days or more

Chinese students: NUFFIC certificate

All Chinese students need to submit a NUFFIC certificate for the visa application. Please ask NUFFIC to send the original certificate to the University of Twente. For more information about the NUFFIC certificate please visit the NUFFIC website.


By Dutch law students cannot apply for a visa themselves. All applications and extensions for (entry) visas, residence permits and Change of Purposes are coordinated by the University of Twente.

If you require an entry visa or residence permit you will be contacted by email outlining all necessary procedures. Provided you supply all necessary documents in time, the entire application procedure will take about 2 months. You are advised to keep up a file with all official documents and letters you receive during your stay in the Netherlands.

Procedure: On-campus students

Step 1: Send in offer of admission to Admission Office

To start your entry visa/residence permit application procedure, return your completed Offer of Admission to the University of Twente. Exchange students do not need to complete this form; they will be contacted by the University of Twente .

STEP 2: Tuition Fee payment & PROOF OF FINANCIAL MEANS

Please note: this step has recently been changed. Read this step carefully, even if you have read it before.

Tuition fees

Dutch law requires non-EU students to pay tuition fees for the first year beforehand. The official visa application process will be started after the University of Twente has received the tuition fees. Please have a look at the deadlines for more information.

Proof of financial means & visa application fee

Non-EU students are also required to provide proof of sufficient financial means for living in the Netherlands. Bachelor/Master students need to prove financial means of € 11,000, whereas exchange students need to prove € 875 per month. To prove your financial means, the University of Twente will ask you for a scholarship award letter and/or bank statement. 

The fee to apply for a visa is 192,- euro. You will pay this to the University, and the University will transfer it to the IND.


The University of Twente will guide you through the entry visa/residence permit procedure. Please follow the instructions outlined in the email messages carefully.

Procedure: Off-campus students (ITC faculty)

Studying less than three months in the netherlands

Students studying in the Netherlands for less than three months have to apply for a multiple-entry Schengen short stay visa at the Netherlands embassy of his/her country. You will be instructed to visit the Netherlands embassy to collect the visa when receiving your ITC letter of admission. Please note that a short stay visa requires you to leave the Netherlands after its expiration date. It is not possible to extend a short stay visa: Dutch authorities makes no exceptions to this rule.

Studying more than three months in the netherlands

Students studying for longer than three months must have a MVV (Machtiging tot Voorlopig Verblijf) upon arrival. This temporary authorisation for your stay in the Netherlands is needed when applying for a residence permit. As soon as you have been awarded a scholarship or when course fees have been fully paid ITC student registration will apply for the MVV and the residence permit at the Dutch Immigration Office IND.

A multiple-entry Schengen visa allows travel and study related trips to Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.