Entry Visa & Residence Permit

By Dutch law students cannot apply for a visa themselves. All applications and extensions for (entry) visas, residence permits and Change of Purposes are coordinated by the University of Twente.

If you require an entry visa or residence permit you will be contacted by email outlining all necessary procedures. Provided you supply all necessary documents in time, the entire application procedure will take about 2 months. You are advised to keep up a file with all official documents and letters you receive during your stay in the Netherlands.

Please note: every non-EU student needs to go through the process, including students who already have a residence permit as we need to verify this.


Do I need an entry visa and/or residence permit?


Entry Visa

Residence Permit

EU/EEA, Switzerland




Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, South Korea or USA


Yes, for stays of 90 days or more

All others

Yes, for stays of 90 days or more

Yes, for stays of 90 days or more

I already have a residence permit for the Netherlands or another European country

If you are transferring from another institution within the Netherlands (e.g. another Dutch university or company) to the University of Twente, you will have to change your residence permit accordingly. Please contact International Office or ITC Student Affairs to apply for a Change of Purpose for residence. Keep in mind that transferring students need to provide the same documents as other students applying for an entry visa. When all necessary documents have been received, the University of Twente will submit your application for a change of purpose at the IND.

Extending Your Residence Permit
  • To extend your residence permit, please contact your faculty contact person who will inform the Student Administration Office. You will receive an email with steps to take.    
  • The extension of residence permits of ITC students will be handled and monitored by ITC Student Affairs.
  • The fee for the extension of your residence permit is €161,-
Change of address?

It is a prerequisite to keep your address up to date in order for you to maintain your residence permit, as the Dutch Immigration Office (IND) uses the Municipal Personal Records Database to check your details of residence. Hence, it is of utmost importance for you to notify the Municipality of your change of address as soon as possible. Please do this by sending an email to Make sure you mention your full name, old address and new address.

Residence Permit & Study Progress

The Dutch government passed a migration law: the Modern Migration Policy Act (MoMi). This law allows faster and easier immigration procedures for highly-skilled students. It requires all non-EU/EEA students with a residence permit for study purposes at the University of Twente (UT) to achieve satisfactory academic progress. This means that you must obtain at least 50% of the EC that you can acquire during an academic year in order to keep your residence permit for the next academic year. More information can be found on the Student Counselling Service website.

Residence Permit When Changing Study Programme

When Changing Study ProgrammeSwitching study programmes within the University of Twente after arrival will not have consequences for your IND residence permit. However, please inform Student Services about your change of study programme. Please consider the MoMi law when thinking about switching programmes: it is only possible if you have achieved satisfactory academic progress in your current program.

What to do if you lost your residence permit

If your residence permit is stolen or lost, please report this to the local police as soon as possible. Visit the police station to have your statement recorded, then visit Student Services to arrange a replacement document. Bring the following documents: (1) copy of police statement of theft, (2) copy of passport, (3) official proof of registration into Municipal Records Database (‘uittreksel bevolkingsregister’), and (4) filled in and signed application for Replacement.


Procedure: On-campus students

On campus students (CTW, EWI, GW, MB and TNW faculty) requiring a residence permit will be guided through all formalities by the University of Twente before arrival. See 'How to obtain?' for the Bachelor's, (Pre-)Master's and Exchange students.

Procedure: Off-campus students (ITC faculty)

Off campus students (ITC faculty) requiring a residence permit must submit their passport during ITC registration. ITC Student Affairs will monitor the processing of residence permit applications with IND and contact you with steps to take.

Studying less than three months in the netherlands
Students studying in the Netherlands for less than three months have to apply for a multiple-entry Schengen short stay visa at the Netherlands embassy of his/her country. You will be instructed to visit the Netherlands embassy to collect the visa when receiving your ITC letter of admission. Please note that a short stay visa requires you to leave the Netherlands after its expiration date. It is not possible to extend a short stay visa: Dutch authorities makes no exceptions to this rule.

Studying more than three months in the netherlands
Students studying for longer than three months must have a MVV (Machtiging tot Voorlopig Verblijf) upon arrival. This temporary authorisation for your stay in the Netherlands is needed when applying for a residence permit. As soon as you have been awarded a scholarship or when course fees have been fully paid ITC student registration will apply for the MVV and the residence permit at the Dutch Immigration Office IND.

Procedure: PhD

All visa procedures for international PhD students (non-ITC) are arranged by the Personnel/HR department.