The first announcements of the Special Olympics Nationale Spelen Twente 2022 on the Campus are visible. The build-up of the Special Olympics Village is also about to begin. During the weekend of 10 to 12 June, the University of Twente will be the home base for almost 3,000 athletes and coaches taking part in the largest multi-sport event for people with a mental disability in the Netherlands. Here is some practical information about this weekend.
What will take place on the Campus?
The Special Olympics Village covers some 25,000 square metres of the Campus. In the village:
- Participants and coaches will stay in a specially equipped tent complex;
- Officials will stay at the U Parkhotel;
- The international hockey teams stay in the log cabins on the Campus;
- Meals will be served for all participants in the festival tent in front of the Bastille.
Besides sports in all 14 municipalities of Twente, there will also be sports on the UT grounds:
- In and around the sports centre various activities will take place, including Healthy Athletes, the Bocce tournament, MATP and the Sportinstuif;
- On the hockey fields of DHC the biggest European G-hockey tournament ever will be organised with participants from Belgium, Germany, France, Spain, Great Britain and Ireland. DHC organises this tournament.
The build-up will take place from Monday 30 May to Thursday 9 June inclusive. No roads will be closed, but you may experience some inconvenience, for example at the Drienerlolaan-Campuslaan and the Boerderijweg.
During the event (from 10-12 June) the road part from the intersection Campuslaan/Calslaan to the intersection Campuslaan/Drienerlolaan is closed. As well as the part of the Campuslaan/Drienerlolaan intersection up to the Bastille.
Arrival and departure of participants
The participants will stay in the Special Olympics Village, but will sport at a different location. This means that they will be transported daily with shuttle buses.
- On Friday at the beginning of the afternoon the teams arrive at the Campus via the back side of the Calslaan. They will be escorted in groups to their accommodation in the Special Olympics Village;
- That same afternoon (around 14.30 - 15.00 hrs) all participants and coaches leave the Campus via Drienerlolaan for the official opening in the FBK stadium. The traffic will be directed by traffic controllers;
- Saturday morning and Sunday morning (between 08.00 and 09.30 hrs) the athletes and their supervisors leave the Campus in the same way. Via Drienerlolaan they go to the location of their sports activity.
With regard to the security on the Campus, SONS' security organisation cooperates with the UT. There will be permanent security during the event. During the build-up and breakdown of the event there will be night security.
The full programme for the three days can be found on the website of Special Olympics Nationale Spelen Twente 2022.
For questions, please contact Wim Senger, tel: 06-47354923 or mail: email@example.com.
Monday till Thursday
Evening party Aveleijn
Thursday (16.00 uur)
Opening Special Olympics Village by Executive Board
Sports tournament/Side events
Evening party SONS
Sports tournament/Side events/Closing
Monday and Tuesday